1753936 Members
10073 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DNS Server Update Propagation

Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

DNS Server Update Propagation

We recently made some DNS changes and additions on our Intranet. Some of our off-campus users use various ISPs, who still do not see the DNS changes on their DNS servers.

How long does it generally take for DNS changes to be propagated to all other DNS servers?

Is there anything we can do (or should have done) to speed up propagation?

Thanks for any info.

Of course, points assigned.

:-) Jay
check Facebook
3 REPLIES 3
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: DNS Server Update Propagation

I've had updates take SEVERAL days to trickle down. Even starting up a new domain and personal web site took 3-4 days until I could hit it by domain name rather than by IP. I checked back with my provider during that time and they assured me that ALL of the DNS entries had been made.

Hopefully your mileage will be better.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Seymour Halpern
Occasional Advisor

72 hours is the normal time period to expect changed to propagate, though I have seen it take somewhat longer.

HTH,

Seymour
Patrick Ruane_1
Frequent Advisor

In my experience, three days sounds about right. Bear in mind, it will depend what ISP your users are with as some will take longer than other depending on how many replicating servers away they are (if you get what I mean).

As for what you can do about it, not a lot. ISP's don't like changing their DNS replication schedules (don't ask me why, server load probably). The only thing I'd suggest is for your off site users to sign up to the same ISP you do.

HTH

Patrick.