1748140 Members
4037 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA1500cs Firmware Active/Active or Active/Passive

Matt McElreath
Occasional Advisor

MSA1500cs Firmware Active/Active or Active/Passive

I inherited an MSA150cs from my predecessor and I know very little about it. We have been seeing some performance issues on one of our DB servers and I would like to look into updating the firmware. In my research I have found a few questions:

How do I determine if it is Active/Active or Active/Passive? I see firmwares for both but I dont know what we have. Would the wrong firmware cause problems?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

7 REPLIES 7
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1500cs Firmware Active/Active or Active/Passive

If you have A/P and put in A/A you should update for example MPIO softwares as well (in case you have old ones).

Some firmwares are A/P and some are A/A.

See http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=415600&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=415598&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005

for details.7.x is A/A and 5.x is A/P

Is your MSA1500 SCSI?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> Is your MSA1500 SCSI? 

MSA1500cs ('cs', I've been told means just 'controller shelf') uses a 2 GBit FC front-end (same MSA1000 controller module as in the older MSA1000 box) and a U160 parallel SCSI back-end.

MSA1510i uses 2x 1 GBit Ethernet front-end and a SCSI back-end (don't know if the controllers can do U320).

raj2796
Advisor

msa1500's are only AP, even when set to AA. By AA it means that one controler is active and the other passive for each lun, which you can set yourself, though both are "active" since both are being used, just never for the same lun.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Firmware is labled as A/A. I suppose the whole tech for the MSA (and EVA) would be assymetrical A/A with the LUN ownerships.

Matt McElreath
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your responses.

Please excuse my ignorance, but this is the controller, right?

http://www.vistacomputer.net/ebay/images/AA986A.jpg

If so, this is exactly what ours looks like. It has one slot full and one slot appears to be empty. Would this mean we are A/P anyway?

Also, where do I go to determine the current firmware of the unit?

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Yeah that's the controller.

You can check the firmware in the ACU, ADU or through the serial port on the front.

Maybe it's even visible in the LCD display if you cycle through the messages.

True, I guess with only one controller you'll be runnnig A :)

Matt McElreath
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. I ended up finding that the firmware is at 4.96. So does that mean I should go with the Active/Passive version 5.30 instead of the Active/Active 7.20 which is available on the following page:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=427161&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=415598&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005