ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752735 Members
5562 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Single fan failure on a DL360p G8 and the server will not boot.

creamt
Visitor

Single fan failure on a DL360p G8 and the server will not boot.

I have a single fan failure on a DL360p G8 and the server will not boot or allow me to get to the BIOS. It gets to the point where it sees the fan issue and just keeps restarting itself. According to the documentation, a single fan failure is not a critical issue and should not shut the server down. This server is new out of the box.  Is this a bug in the firmware or BIOS?

P.S.This thread has been moved from Servers > General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)-HP Forums Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Fan Failure on Gen8 server is something that HP has already addressed with firmware update . 

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/mostViewedDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=5177953&spf_p.tpst=psiContentDisplay&spf_p.prp_psiContentDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03676368-1%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

As your server is out of the box and it doesnt allow you to go to bios , I doubt if you can update the firmware too, I would still suggets boot the server with SPP( service pack for proliant ) DVD and check if it boots to dvd and update the ILO firmware. If it doesnt allow to boot to the DVD, open the chassis of the server, reseat all the fans, and try to identify the failed fan and move it to another slot to identify if its the fan or the slot faulty and call HP Support to have it repaired.

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
creamt
Visitor

Looks like the issue is the motherboard on this one. A replacement fan did not work either. However, since it is only one fan not operating, shouldn't the server still boot? According to the documentation, a single failure of a fan is not critical. HP is sending us a motherboard but the concern is that a single failure of a fan can cause the system to fail the boot process.

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

May be the board had some power issues too and it shutdown because of that and not just because of the fan failure. Server should boot with one failure too. Once the board is replaced, you can try removing one fan and check how the server behaves and let me know here
Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
Tomkibbs

I have the same problem on dl320e Gen 8 server. one fan failure and cannot boot, keeps on restarting after 2 min and really troubles me. what do I do.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Single Fan failure on DL320e server doesn't allow booting. is this such critical

This entry level server doesn't have redundant fans.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!