ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753765 Members
5832 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Dual rank and single rank dimms in same DL360 G4p?

Al_56
Regular Advisor

Dual rank and single rank dimms in same DL360 G4p?

l have been studying the memory limitations of the HP DL G4p series servers, and found the following link: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12166_div/12166_div.html#Memory

We have 30 of the DL360 G4p's, each running around 8 Gig of RAM in various configurations.

Some with 2 x 2 gig dual rank DIMMs, and 4 x 1 gig single rank DIMM's, and some with 4 x 2 gig dual rank dimms.

We want to upgrade them all to 10 - 12 Gig if possible.

Reading the above mentioned page it states that you can run dual and single rank DIMM's in the same server, as long as the total RAM installed does not exceed 8 ranks in total.

And as noted above we are running some servers as such (2 x 2 gig dual rank DIMMs, and 4 x 1 gig single rank DIMM's).

Not wishing to toss out (or sell) our 2 rank 2 gig DIMM's, l was hoping to configure the servers with 2 x 2 gig dual rank DIMMs, and 4 x 2 gig single rank DIMM's. Thereby having 12 gig with a total of 8 ranks.

Our reseller says that running mixed RAM is not supported anymore, and recommends only using single rank DIMM's.

Can anyone tell me who is right? Is anyone out there running 12 gigs of mixed DIMM's? If so, any issues?

Please advise, to save me $40k l'd much rather invest in upping our storage capacity.

Thanks in advance.

Al
3 REPLIES 3
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: Dual rank and single rank dimms in same DL360 G4p?

You're reseller is not correct. Running a mixed config in the same bank is not supported though. The matrix is correct. You can mix single and dual rank dimms and populate all the slots, BUT dual the first bank is the only memory which can be dual rank. Banks B and C must be single rank.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
techsupport68

I have done just that, put the Dual Rank first. You could save some money doing that throughout...
Marc Lemieux

Is this also valid for a DL380 G4? Can we have the first bank dual ram and add single rank ram in the next 2 banks? Any advantages or disadvantages running mix ram? Thank you

Marc