Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752788 Members
6178 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

iLo Remote Console login extremely slow when using Java 1.5.0

Anil Karmel

iLo Remote Console login extremely slow when using Java 1.5.0

When we use the iLo Remote Console on our servers, the time period from clicking "Remote Console" to actually seeing a Windows login screen is extremely slow (3-4 minutes). This appears to be server independant, as we've tried DL360 G1,2,3, & 4's with the same result. The common thread is the version of Java we're using on our client workstations (v1.5.0). Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
Craig Jackson_3
Frequent Advisor

Re: iLo Remote Console login extremely slow when using Java 1.5.0

I have noticed this too. The CPU is pegged at 100% during the delay, too. (The fan on my laptop speeds up do deal with the extra heat.)

Also using JDK 1.5

Craig Jackson
acartes
Honored Contributor

When you launch the remote console (applet) it has to start the JVM on your client. This might take a little while (5 to 10 seconds) the first time you do it. It also has to transfer the applet to your client browser to run. This, too, might take a couple seconds depending on your network connection.

JVM 1.5 is not officially supported, but there are no known issues with it either.

Does this happen every single time, or only the first time launching remcons for an iLO?

What iLO firmware version are you using?
Craig Jackson_3
Frequent Advisor

It's definitely related to firing up the JVM -- it happens much more quickly if one has been used recently. When there's a delay, I'd say it's 20 to 60 seconds of pure CPU usage on a 2GHz machine. This is before it asks me if I want to download something via SSL with an unknown certificate.

If I've already run the ILO and accepted all of the certificates, it happens pretty quickly.

This behavior has been noticed with 1.62, 1.64, 1.70, and 1.75. I didn't try it too much with 1.62 or 1.64 -- I upgraded to 1.70 pretty quickly. I just finished upgrading all of my blades to 1.75.

Craig