1748181 Members
3302 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

iLO broken?

Steve Jones_14

iLO broken?

I have a bunch of DL360 and DL380 G4 boxes; all have iLOs which, with one exception, work just fine. The iLO in one DL360 *did* work, but has stopped functioning in recent days. I can't ping the iLO static IP address, but I can see from the Cisco switch management interface that the link is up.

I've installed the HPONCFG utility, but any attempt to run this returns: ERROR: A general system error occurred while detecting iLO/RILOE-II

I have the Insight Management Agents loaded but the Web Agent reports no management processor in the configuration.

Win2K device manager reports the presence of a 'multi-function adapter' to which the iLO management channel driver is attached. Insight reports that the iLO hardware is present and that the driver is loaded.

So, what's up? Is the iLO busted?

sj
8 REPLIES 8
Robert_448

Re: iLO broken?

try reseting the server if possible
what firmware you running?
we had lock ups so upgraded to 1.75 so far no problems
Ihope your power supplies do better than ours we have experieced lots of power supply failures on dl360
Steve Jones_14

Thanks for the reply. The firmware is circa 1.5x or 1.6x (going by what's installed on the other boxes; I can't interrogate the problematic iLO).

By reset, do you mean power-cycle? I've rebooted (to no avail) but have not yet tried power-cycling (the server is 200 miles away; that's why I need iLO ...).

sj
acartes
Honored Contributor

First, I suggest updating the iLO driver. Assuming you are running Windows, you can get the latest driver here:

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/download/21231.html

If the installation of the driver fails, it might mean that iLO is unresponsive. This could be the case, in which power cycling the system (that is removing power entirely to force iLO to reset) is one recovery path.

If you have to power cycle to recover, I would also reset iLO configuration to default values in iLO RBSU as well as update to the latest iLO firmware.
James Tewes

Steve,
If you cannot firmware flash the ILO and you cannot gain access to the ILO configuration on boot then either the system board is faulty or the ILO firmware has corrupted. Best thing you can do is download the latest ILO firmware (Bootable floppy version) as this in the only one that will correctly upgrade. You will find if you try and do the upgrade in windows or the Smartstart CD it will not work as there is an OS underneath (Windows/linux). Cannot remember whether you have to to but on certain models e.g DL580's you have to flip the disable ILO security jumper on the system board to be able to do the floppy flash upgrade, then switch it back once done. Hope this helps.

Regards
James
Arron_3

I've also encountered this problem after using a cpqlocfg script. I changed the DNS IP's, and domain name field and instead it changed the iLO board from a static IP to DHCP. But without a DHCP server on the network, it's kinda worthless...

I fixed a few servers by installing a temporary DHCP server, however I have about 15 servers which this fix didn't work on, and so I'm forced to reboot and re-configure it from the console.

Never again will I use cpqlocfg...
acartes
Honored Contributor

CPQLOCFG can be powerful medicine...

However, if you have "lost" your iLO by accidentally converting it to a DHCP client, you may be able to recover. A utility, HPONCFG, runs from the command prompt on the host OS and allows reconfiguring iLO using "in-band" techniques. You might want to give this a try.
acartes
Honored Contributor

If it is still unresponsive, you may want to try resetting iLO to defaults. You can do this from the host using HPONCFG:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1017653
balisto

did anyone ever find a valid answer to this problem? We happen to experience the same thing.. three servers proliant dl360 g3 win2k3, hponcfg does not work with the message "general system error", however, multi-function adapter is shown in control panel. What's worse, there is no "management processor ilo" listed in the system management home page. Update of driver worked but to no avail, dito for firmware. Upon reboot, there is not even the f8 option to configure the ilo!

Thanks,

jl