4466 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

iLo2 Virtual CD - Stops half way through install & I lose my CDROM

mjcb2000
Advisor

iLo2 Virtual CD - Stops half way through install & I lose my CDROM

Hello,

I am using a Virtual CD through iLo2 to an HP Bl20p running all the up to date firmware/drivers that exist. I am running an install from my desktop wich is a WindowsXP SP2 desktop class. Half way through the install of a server application, the Blade loses connection with the CD-ROM on my desktop. Then I look in 'My Computer' on my desktop and my CD-ROM is gone. Even if I unmount the CD-ROM from my Ilo2 session it does not come back. i need to reboot then everything is normal.

Anyone have any suggestions.
4 REPLIES 4
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Re: iLo2 Virtual CD - Stops half way through install & I lose my CDROM

Does the same thing happen if you use a different desktop? The CD-ROM going poof entirely sounds, on the surface at least, more like a problem with the desktop than with the iLO2.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
mjcb2000
Advisor

I did try that and the same thing happend.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Well, so much for that idea :(

Other ideas for things to try might include:

*) a desktop other than Windows

*) extracting the ISO images off the CD and access the ISO rather than the CD hardware (alas, I'm not sure how to do the extraction)

How long is "half way through" here? Minutes, hours? I've had situations (involving OSes other than Linux on both ends) where I was doing an iLO-based install (from an ISO image on the desktop) and had to go away for a long time (for some definition of "long") and I ended-up having to cycle the connect/disconnect in the Java applet.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
mjcb2000
Advisor

The install can stop after 1 min or can go for up to 2 mins before failing.

We have no problems if not using iLo with the CD-ROM mounted. We were actually successful mounting the same CD through VMWare, so it seems like this has to do with iLo itself.