Server Management - Remote Server Management
1753786 Members
7630 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Update directory Error: The administrative limit for this request was exceeded ,

Update directory Error: The administrative limit for this request was exceeded ,

Hi Guys,

I am getting this error when I click on update directory.

"The administrative limit for this request was exceeded"

I have around 50 IPs scanned in my subnet. I have my Container and Roles specified and I am using my login name on the domain for updating the directory. It updates approx. 16 hostnames and then it gives me this error message and stops upgrading. Any help on this will be appreciated. Thanks, Vikram
1 REPLY 1
Chris Davenport
Advisor

Re: Update directory Error: The administrative limit for this request was exceeded ,

I've seen this error before when updating a role or group that has too many members. There appears to be a limit on the size of the attribute beyond the 5,000 member limit imposed by active directory, where modifying an attribute that has more than 16k worth of data fails. I suspect it's a string limit within the .Net framework or ADSI layer.

Take a look at the role being updated and see if they have extremely large device membership lists. Try with a new/empty role.

Beyond that, there may be something in the Microsoft knowledgebase about encountering that error.