1748031 Members
5062 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

iLO 3 temporarily unavailable on DL380 G7

Mark Orchard
Occasional Advisor

iLO 3 temporarily unavailable on DL380 G7

I built a new DL380 G7 with Windows 2008 R2 yesterday and all was fine until I went to use the 'HP Light-out Online Configuration Utility".

It threw up a couple of errors and referenced 2 xml log files, both of which were empty apart from some headers.

Now, when the server reboots, a POST message states iLO 3 is temporarily unavailable.

I have tried updating iLO 3 whilst logge donto server. Update files are:
cp013143.exe - installed OK
cp013639.exe - installed OK
cp014252.exe - fails to install stating "The software is not supported for installation on this system. Unable to communicate with the management processor".

I cannot access the iLO configuration through the BIOS as it states it is unavailable.
Booting from the Smartstart CD and running the iLO utility fails.

However, the iLO NIC does pick up an IP address but I cannot web-browse to it.

I do not know of any other way to get iLO to work. Can anybody help?
5 REPLIES 5
Mark Orchard
Occasional Advisor

Re: iLO 3 temporarily unavailable on DL380 G7

I've since checked the server's event log file and I don't know if this helps but every time the server (re)starts there is an error which states "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: hpqilo3whea"

Mark Orchard
Occasional Advisor

Further info on the error logs. Everytime I try to run hponcfg gui tool, it will hang then generate a message.

"Error encountered in execution of hponcfg. For more details check the file - 'xmlOutput2_23_2011_10_07_51_AM158.txt" located at "
The file only contains the following header info: "HPONCFG RILOE-II/iLO setup and configuration utility
Version 3.1.1.0 (c) Hewlett-Packard Company, 2010"

The GUI tool then opens but all the options are empty & none of the tools work.

Mark Orchard
Occasional Advisor

Resolved issue.

After the HPoncfg GUI tool finally loaded, even though it had no settings, i navigated to Settings->Configure iLO which threw up an error message stating "iLO Lights-Out functionality is disabled" and I needed to use the iLO Security Over-ride switch to restore functionality.

I did this, reset iLO to factory defaults and it worked.

Why couldn't the POST message just state it was disabled rather than the more vague "Temporarily Unavailable"?
Mark Orchard
Occasional Advisor

Resolved issue by using iLO security override switch & resetting to factory defaults.
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

What iLO3 firmware version do you have?