1751894 Members
5080 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

ILO SNMP Configuration and MIB information

ashusvits
Occasional Visitor

ILO SNMP Configuration and MIB information

We want HP  iLO alarms to be connected our own alarm system to get hardware alarms for servers. Can you please suggest what alarms are available via this SNMP interface and also what the SNMP MIBs that are relevant. Please suggest if there is some documentation/guide for configuring SNMP and MIB for iLO

Regards,

Ashish

5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: ILO SNMP Configuration and MIB information

iLO, iLO2 and iLO3 don't have a complete SNMP stack. They only have a SNMP Passthrough functionality, i.e. SNMP queries sent to iLO are passed to whatever SNMP agent is running on the main server OS. So whatever MIBs are applicable to the main server should be applicable to iLO SNMP passthrough access too.

Apparently the outgoing SNMP traps are automatically sent through both the regular NIC and the iLO interface, if the appropriate HP SNMP agents and iLO drivers are installed. This would include all the traps that the SNMP agent of the main server OS can send.

Page 28 of this document suggests that you can set the trap destination on the main server OS SNMP agent to 127.0.0.1 to have the traps sent out through the iLO interface only:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?cc=us&docId=emr_na-c00212796&lang=en-us

Other than that, the only things to configure are to enable iLO SNMP passthrough and set the iLO SNMP trap destination settings, if it has them.

This discussion may be useful too:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04272529

The newest iLO4 may have more SNMP functionality, I haven't checked that yet.

MK
gimmel

Hi Ashish

Ilo4 does support snmp. I am trying to integrate it with our Zabbix 2.0 monitoring system, but I am also finding it a little difficult.

A MIB pack is available in the form of a hot fix/patch for the system insight manager. But i have found these a little difficult to work with:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home

I used manage engines mib browser to browse the info.

I have found some useful stuff, but what I am really interested where the System Insight Display (little pop out led indicator on the front of the proliant servers) draws it information from?

I want to be able to monitor which ram slot is populated and working, which cpu is populated and working etc.

Our servers are located at a remote location and I would like to know when these things fail.

Any recommendations (with links hopefully) would be greatly appreciated.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The System Insight Display gets its information directly from the hardware: on older systems you may have had diagnostic LEDs on the system board instead. Some of this information is made available to the OS by the appropriate hardware health drivers, and then translated into SNMP format by the SNMP agent. With iLO4, some of this information may also be accessible in SNMP format over the iLO network connection, because the iLO4 firmware does a similar translation. The iLO4 can also access the Integrated Management Log (IML), which may provide similar data in another form.

The System Insight Display is primarily a troubleshooting tool for major hardware failures that prevent the server from running even firmware code correctly.

For monitoring memory over SNMP, the contents of the CPQHLTH-MIB will probably help:

in particular, .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.14.11 (also known as CPQHLTH-MIB::cpqHeResMemModuleTable) should contain the status of individual DIMMs. Depending on hardware model, the information may be at ....14.13 (CPQHLTH-MIB::cpqHeResMem2ModuleTable) instead.

MK
kc.huan
Occasional Visitor

Hi MK,

You mean iLo itselft cant detect disk failure if agent is not installed?

I,m try to get disk failure snmp trap from ilo without install HP agent. Is it possible?

TQ

cesarpegado
Valued Contributor

If you don't want to install agents on servers then I'd recommend selecting the agentless management in the ilo and then I would install hp oneview and point the agent less management to that. It will automatically understand all the hp mibs for you, and you use can oneview to email out if it detects errors. I believe on ilo 1-3 to get disk faults you need to install agents on the server as the ilo didn't talk to array controller on the older ilo types.