LAN Routing
1748054 Members
4979 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Historical question: What's the difference between "A" models and "non-A" models?

mbhunter

Historical question: What's the difference between "A" models and "non-A" models?

Hello all,

I'm looking to clean up an organization's system catalog; part of that is finding authoritative sources for how HP names its products.

I run across things like "HP A5120 EI Switch Series" (note the "A" in front of 5120).

It seems like this was once part of how HP named things, but no longer is?

For example, I went here:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/vn/en/sm/WF06b/12883-12883-4172267-4172278-4172278-3897494-3897663.html?dnr=1

Notice the bread crumb trail at the top:

Switches  >  HP A6600 Switch Series

But when I follow that link, it redirects to a page called

HP 6600 Switch Series

without the "A".

Can someone offer some perspective on where the "A" went, or what it means?

Thanks much!

2 REPLIES 2
Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

Re: Historical question: What's the difference between "A" models and "non-A" m

A series are H3C and E series are Procurve. It's not an old way of doing things, it's a new way to differentiate between Procurve and H3C.

marco_octavian
Occasional Visitor

Re: Historical question: What's the difference between "A" models and "non-A" m

From what I understand, HP is moving away from the A,E,V,S naming standards. Origianlly, yes H3C branded devices typically had an A in front of them and the traditional/legacy equipment had E or V. The "S" was mainly for H3C security devices (firewalls, etc.).

A = Advanced

E = Essential

V = Value

S = Security

Today, they are being categorized as Comware-based (H3C) or Provison-based (aka Procurve OS). Having said that, this is probably just a step in the evolution as well since a "Unified OS" is currently in the works. Today, you can even "enable" a subset of the H3C commands on Provision devices, although it's really using aliases behind the scenes

HTH,

Marco Octavian