4197 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

IMC V5.2 - Unable to Telnet to device

larrymac
Frequent Advisor

IMC V5.2 - Unable to Telnet to device

Hi

I am trying to get some config from a number of devices.

I am using the Deployment Guide to do this.  I create a task but when I try and deploy it says it fails as it cannot telnet to device.

I check in device config and when I select Telnet it trys to open a web page:

telnet://x.x.x.x "page cannot be displayed".

I can telnet to the device in cmd session.  I also navigated to \imc\server\bin and can telnet from there also.

Any suggestions why when choosing telnet it is trying to open web browser?

Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Re: IMC V5.2 - Unable to Telnet to device

When you click the "Telnet" link on the Device Details page, all IMC is doing is providing a link that looks like this: telnet://10.1.1.1/

It is then up to your browser as to how it interprets that protocol handler. IE used to just launch telnet by default, but now it takes all sorts of tricks to make it do something useful.

Firefox and Chrome are much simpler - generally the first time they encounter telnet://, they'll ask you what program you want to use to open that URL, and will offer to remember that choice.

So that Telnet link is unrelated to why IMC might report "Failed to telnet to device"

NOTE: This is different to clicking "Telnet/SSH Proxy" - if you use this, it is running a Telnet or SSH session from the IMC server. It is using the pop-up to relay commands/output. This is quite different to clicking the Telnet link, where it is your client that makes the connection. One of the very handy things about this proxy is that if you're using SSH (which every sane network admin should be), then it will connect using the username/password you have stored in iMC. This is excellent for verifying that the username/pass you have stored is correct, no typos.

Getting back to your other problems, you mention that you are trying to get some config, but you are using the Deployment Guide.

Are you trying to run a backup, or are you trying to do something else? The answer to that will give us an idea on what logfiles, etc that we need to look at.

larrymac
Frequent Advisor

Hi Lindsay

I am trying to generate a report from a number of switches for specific config from each unit.  

Also, on previous attempt I was unable to perform a backup either.  Same problem both times.  "Unable to telent to device".  I think both are related.  I have done some digging and it is possible that I need to install Putty or similar onto IMC server to allow me Telnet to device.

I plan to upgrade IMC to latest SP next week and will also install Putty and see how I get on.

Thanks 

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Let's focus on the backups first, as those are a bit simpler to deal with, and there are certain bits that overlap between the code and configuration. Fixing one may fix the other.

Upgrading to the latest patches may help, but I wouldn't plan on it, if you're already using 5.2. You don't need to install Putty. You should probably be using Putty (or some other decent Telnet/SSH client) from your desktop, but it's not required on the IMC server. IMC ships with its own pscp and plink binaries, in <IMC>/server/bin/. You shouldn't touch those.

So let's go through it:

* What sort of devices are these? (Cisco/Comware/etc)

* For a sample device, On the "Device Details" page, what is "Login Type" set to?

* How is authentication configured on the device itself? Do you have a username/password, or just a password? Do you need an enable password? 

* In IMC, on the Device Details page, do your Telnet or SSH parameters match up with the authentication methods required on the device? (note: Super/Manager password == enable password)

* Trigger a backup. Wait for it to fail, then grab the latest copy of <IMC>/server/conf/log/imccfgbakdm*, and upload it here. That should tell us where it's failing.

Unrelated to that, would you mind explaining a bit more about the specific config you're trying to get for each unit? Generally the Deployment tasks are for deploying configuration to devices, not for retrieving information. There might be a better way to achieve what you want.

larrymac
Frequent Advisor

Hi Lindsay

I have attached error msg when I try to deploy any config to any device.

I am trying this on Comware 5.

I can telnet to the device from the server using CMD in windows.

Each device is setup to use custom Telnet template which has username  and password.

Basically what I want to do is generate a report for all devices showing Version or STP etc.  Just to have a report for my records really.

But aside from that it looks like there is some basic setup of the IMC which I have incorrect....

If I change Login type in Device View to SSH it looks for Putty installed in Program Files but when I Select OK it states that it dosen't exist.

Thanks

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure that you will be able to get the information in a report in the format you want. For a quick list of versions, I find it easiest to just go to Service -> Configuration Center -> Configuration Center, and you can see it in a list. You could also use the Device Asset Report.

Can you please run a backup, and get the latest imccfgbakdm* log file? The screenshot doesn't really tell us much in the way of useful info - the details are in the log files. The error messages displayed on screen are usually too generic to help.

Something's going wrong if this is happening: "If I change Login type in Device View to SSH it looks for Putty installed in Program Files but when I Select OK it states that it dosen't exist"

The only time IMC is looking for PuTTy there is if you click the "SSH" link under Action, on the right-hand side of the screen. That is your PC trying to SSH to the device. Where it says "Login Type", click "[Modify]" and make sure that is set correctly (to Telnet or SSH, as required).

larrymac
Frequent Advisor

Hi Lindsay

The backups are working from Device View and from Configuration Centre.

I have both Chrome and IE on ths server and both try and open a web page when I try and telnet to device...

Is it a setting on the browser rather than the IMC?

Thanks

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@larrymac wrote:

I have both Chrome and IE on ths server and both try and open a web page when I try and telnet to device...

Is it a setting on the browser rather than the IMC?

Yes, this is what I said earlier - IMC is just providing a URL in the form telnet://X.X.X.X. It's entirely up to your browser as to how it handles that protocol. 

To be clear though, this behaviour (clicking a Telnet link in the IMC web page) is completely unrelated to the problems you have with deploying configuration using IMC.

I thought device backups weren't working - are they working now?

larrymac
Frequent Advisor

Hi Lindsay

Yes backups are working now.  IMC was restarted last week and now I can backup.

I will investigate further the relationship with IMC and browser

Thanks