5001 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 10g RAC ASM hp-ux 11.23

Philip J. Priest_1
Frequent Advisor

10g RAC ASM hp-ux 11.23

Query about ASM 10g RAC on 11.23.

How are you using it? Any problems workarounds etc? horror stories.

Want to use it on 2 rp3410 servers with an EVA 3000.

Existing envioment is 9i on 11.11 pa-risc with ServiceGuard RAC edition. Currently using VA7400 disk array.

-phil
9 REPLIES 9
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

What version of ServiceGuard/RAC are you going to run (if any)?

"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
Philip J. Priest_1
Frequent Advisor

I suppose the latest version.......
Julio Yamawaki
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

We user 10g RAC with ASM on HP-UX 11.23 on a two-node cluster with rx 4640 and XP256.
Is's nice and run quickly, our database is about 1 TB in size, growing about 50 MB/month.
We build ASM block with about 50 LUNs and in case of ASM with RAC, we used /dev/dsk/cntxdy instead of using /dev/vgxx/lvolnn, in this case, be carefull when doing any kind of disk operation, because you just can't see if the disk is in use or not (I have a problem in another customer, when a SysAdmin used ASM disk for mounting a disk volume group, imagine what happend...).
We haven't made a disk reorg, like inserting a new drive in the ASM group to see what happen (things like performance of reorganization/rebalancing).
The cluster if serving about 2.000 users and database performance is ok.

Regards,
Carsten Krege
Honored Contributor

Support for ASM with SGeRAC commences with SGeRAC A.11.17.

However, please note that it has been possible to set up Oracle databases using ASM on HP-UX from the time Oracle 10g became available on HP-UX, using the following configurations that do not require SG/SGeRAC:

- non-clustered single instance Oracle
- Oracle single instance and RAC databases running in a pure Oracle clusterware environment

The following requirements and restrictions apply to SGeRAC A.11.17 support of ASM:

- ASM support is available only for RAC databases with SGeRAC A.11.17. There is no ASM support for single instance database with SG A.11.17; in particular:

o It is unsupported to have a single instance Oracle database with ASM-managed storage running in a SG A.11.17 cluster.
o It is unsupported to have a single instance Oracle database with ASM-managed storage in the SGeRAC configuration for Oracle 10g, wherein SGeRAC provides node membership to Oracle Clusterware.

- In SGeRAC configurations using ASM, the ASM disk group members must be raw logical volumes managed by Shared Logical Volume Manager (SLVM). They are not allowed to be raw disks or disk array LUs or raw logical volumes managed by Symantec Cluster Volume Manager (CVM). For the SLVM raw logical volumes configured as ASM disk group members, SLVM mirroring and striping must not be used.

- SGeRAC A.11.17 running on HP-UX 11i v2 update 2, and Oracle 10g R2, are required for ASM support.

- The maximum SGeRAC cluster size supported for ASM configurations is 16.

- ASM is not supported with SGeRAC for any of these disaster-tolerance solutions:
o Extended Cluster; The Extended Cluster-like configuration in which ASM is used for inter-site mirroring (with ASM disk group members being un-mirrored SLVM raw logical volumes) is also not supported.
o Continentalclusters
o Metrocluster

Please note that HP does not really recommend SGeRAC with ASM but SGeRAC with Cluster File System configurations for new installations as it maximizes the value-add of HP solutions (e.g. support for Extended Cluster, Continentalclusters, certain Virtual Server Environment software) and is the leading manageability solution for Oracle RAC environments. Next best choices are SGeRAC with either SLVM or CVM.

Carsten
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- HhGttG
Philip J. Priest_1
Frequent Advisor

Really i wanted some feedback from ppl using only ASM & Clusterware on hp-ux. No SeviceGuard.

We dont want to have to buy SGeRAC for what we are planning.

-phil
Julio Yamawaki
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

In Oracle 10g, ServiceGuard is use only for failover of hardware, like lan cards.
You can install in the same way without ServiceGuard, using ASM and ClusterWare.
I believe this cluster will have the same performance, because ServiceGuard normally doesn't cause any kind of performance problem.
ASM is totally independent from ServiceGuard.
In case you will have problem with performance in cluster heartbeat lan card (cache fusion) you can use APA to put up to 4 lan cards to work together.

Regards,
Chedella

Hi

I am setting up 10G Rel2 on 2 Node HP-UX Itanium servers with Oracle CRS and ASM. My CRS is runing fine.

For ASM which storage option is best? I am trying to setup database storage with Raw devices and getting problems. We have multipaths for raw devices so ASM is throwing errors while creating diskgroups and mounting them because of duplicate disks i.e along with multipath of the device.

Can any tell me with storage is good with ASM

Thks
SRinivas
Robin T. Slotten
Trusted Contributor

Under your configuration you can not have multipaths for raw devices. Oracle/ASM does not support it. You must use a multipath software solution provided by your SAN or a 3rd party solution. (We just talked with Oracle about the same issue).

Oracle RAC without Service guard provides redundancy by failing over the load to another node in your cluster. You must analyse your infrastructure to determine if a hardware failure in your LAN or SAN will clobber all the nodes in your RAC cluster.

A good MC/SG installation will have multiple paths for SAN and LAN connections and will automatically fail them over. With RAC, I did not set up the RAC system where I currently am and I have been discuvering a number of single points of failure because we did not implement MC/SG or at least work theough the same issues as you would for SG.
Rob....

IF you do it more than twice, write a script.
Jack007
Frequent Advisor

For the SLVM raw logical volumes configured as ASM disk group members, SLVM mirroring and striping  must not be used.

Is it true? 

what would happen if we use  mirror on the LV of the Shared VG?