Operating System - HP-UX
1748163 Members
3639 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: About the Printer Model File and the non-HP printer.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

> The lp command in HP UX semms to send the print job (plaintext) directly to the remote printer without anything changed/inserted, right ?

No. The lp command does nothing with the text except to send it to the printer. PCL codes are interpreted by the printer. If the code is not meaningful to the printer then (at least on HP printers) the codes are printed on the paper. Otherwise, they are interpreted by the printer and the intended feature is activated on the printer. The lp command is nothing but a file sender.

When you use a printer script like net_ljx000, the -o options (like -olandscape) will prepend the file with the escape sequences and the printer will respond -- if it can. Remember that that this is not an HP printer, so you may have to contact Ricoh to see what PCL codes actually work.

The option -opcl simply tells the printer to enter PCL (as opposed to POSTSCRIPT) rather than automatically detect the language being used. But this is for HP printers that support PJL (printer job language).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dan Bolton
Frequent Advisor

We currently are using several Ricoh printers (Aficio MP C4500 & C3500) with HP-UX 11.11, set up as network printers.

The printer queues were created with HPPI, using the net_lj5x model script (per Ricoh support), with the following settings:
Default Printing Language = [AUTO]
PostScript Level = [Level 1]

I know basic PCL commands work, and all application formatting works, but have not specifically tested Postscript. Though we are not currently using C2500 printers, we have in the past, and I believe the setup was the same.

...skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Well, PS would be fine if the IT department would have bought it with the printer ....
some people think it's not necessary :-(
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
paul.lee
Occasional Advisor

Hi Bill, Nyga and Dan, Thanks all of you !
I configurated the MP C2500 as a network printer.
The printout will be inserted with the PCL codes, it works !

And is it possible to create multiple printer queues pointed to one physical printer in HP UX ?

Thanks !
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

>is it possible to create multiple printer
>queues pointed to one physical printer in HP UX ?

It should be possible, but what is the sense?
You can create 'remote printer' where the jobs are directed to another network printer, also at the same server.
So this will end in one queue.
You also should be able to define the printer with his ip address and give different names, but why?
Do you expect that this will make the prints faster with several queues?

V.
paul.lee
Occasional Advisor

Hi Nyga,
I just want to create different queses with different default settings to make it more convenient.
For example:
PrinterA with default A4 paper size.
PrinterB with default A3 paper size.

Paul Lee
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

ok - makes sense.
So just use different 'Lp destination (queue) names', that should work.

V.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> I just want to create different queses with different default settings...

This is very easy with JetDirect (network) printers. Just repeat the addqueue command giving a different queue name to each printer. Then cd to the /etc/lp/interface/model.orig directory and edit each of the queue files to set your default values. Since you did not specify what model script you used, I can't guide you as far as how to set the paper size, banner page on/off, default character size, etc.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
paul.lee
Occasional Advisor

Hi Nyga and Bill,
Thanks for your replies.
I will try the different queues pointed to one printer myself.
Thanks !