Operating System - HP-UX
1752766 Members
5163 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup directories (HP-UX 10.20) to be restored on another server (HP-UX 11.0)

Lee McDonald_1

Backup directories (HP-UX 10.20) to be restored on another server (HP-UX 11.0)

Hi, I'm trying to find out if this is possible...
I would like to backup (on a DDS3 tape drive) many directories (users and applications directories and files like: BPCS) of my actual production server HP-UX 10.20 (HP9000 K370) using one of the following: tar, fbackup, SAM or whatever the command that will do! And then restore the directories to a new HP-UX 11.0 (RP2470).

Is this possible?
If it is possible, will the ownership and security of the files and directories will be ok? Is there any special things to be done to prevent any problems to occur?

What is your recommandation?

Lee McDonald
4 REPLIES 4
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Re: Backup directories (HP-UX 10.20) to be restored on another server (HP-UX 11.0)

Hi,

SAM 'backup and recovery' uses fbackup, but it's a little bit more comfortable.
You also can use: export a directory - mount it - copy all (most recommended with 'dd' command).
hp-ux programs should be installed with swinstall (for patch history).
(What's BPCS?)
There should be no problems for applications or user directories (user-id's have to be equal at source and target!).
But you shouldn't transfer files from /etc, /var, /usr - directories where hp-ux makes it installation.
Special file like for cron, printer, hosts, users (if wanted) should be done by hand (or special SAM funktions -> printer).

HTH
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Lee McDonald_1

Hi again,

BPCS is a Enterprise ressource planning software (like SAP)...
So you think that I should be able to backup/restore my directories from my HP-UX 10.20 to my new HP-UX 11.0 server?

Thanks a lot for your help!

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Yes - several years ago I've made this without problems.
Of course you've to test your applications then ...
For large applications (like - as it sounds - BPCS) you should check the vendors prerequisites for 11.0.
Btw. 11.0 is out of support - will you change to 11.11 later?

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Lee McDonald_1

The BPCS version that we are currently running is supporting HP-UX 11.0 only unfortunatly...