Operating System - HP-UX
1753427 Members
4846 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Binary built on HP-PRISC-64 can run on HP-Itanium-64 ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Binary built on HP-PRISC-64 can run on HP-Itanium-64 ?

Hi:

> Steve: A third party program that was compiled, designed, and has been running on an old PARISC for years...can be thrown on a new Itanium box...and it will work?

Yes; see:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60130/Aries.5.html

Regards!

...JRF...
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Let me get this straight....

"Aries is a dynamic binary translator which transparently emulates 32-bit and 64-bit PA-RISC HP-UX applications on Itanium-based HP-UX machines. Aries is an acronym for Automatic Recompilation and Integrated Environment Simulation. Aries is transparent in the sense that:

The PA-RISC HP-UX application is not recompiled.

The user does not explicitly invoke Aries.

The Itanium-based HP-UX operating system kernel recognizes a PA-RISC HP-UX executable and invokes Aries to dynamically translate and execute the application."

It is transparent enough so I can throw 4 gigs of an old unidata database onto a new Itanium box and it will still work?

I've have two different software companies tell me their software will not work on Itanium, only PARISC.

So when they said "NO." Actually they should have said "YES. The existing software will work fine on Itanium. Because the ARIES emulator will recognize it as PARISC and run with it as PARISC without any user involvement."

This is true? REALLY?
(PS: NO. I have not been living under a rock. I just don't have any itanium boxes.)

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Steve: It is transparent enough so I can throw 4 gigs of an old unidata database onto a new Itanium box and it will still work?

Possibly.

>I've have two different software companies tell me their software will not work on Itanium, only PA-RISC.

Well, there is a difference between work, tested and supported.

>So when they said "NO." Actually they should have said "YES. The existing software will work fine on Itanium. Because the ARIES...

You can't tell. If they said "NO", they could mean:
1) We tested it and it fails.
2) We tried to test it and ran into installation issues and didn't bother going on.
3) We don't know about Aries.

You have created your own thread under:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1247957
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

yes. I did create my own thread.
I wanted to be able to assign points.
I didn't really want to take over the other guy's thread.