Operating System - Linux
1748177 Members
4351 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot "suspend" (apm) my laptop anymore.

Marco Paganini
Respected Contributor

Cannot "suspend" (apm) my laptop anymore.

Hello everybody,

Has anyone else seen this? I had RedHat 7.1 installed in a Compaq M700 laptop (nothing special, APM Bios and blablabla). RH7.1 used to suspend the laptop without a hitch. Now, after the upgrade to RH7.2 (which happened without any problems), I see the message:

apm: Input/Output error

When I try to 'suspend' the laptop.

I've traced this problem all the way to the kernel source, and it seems that somehow the BIOS is returning an error code. But that's not all! I've been able to suspend this very same laptop using RH7.2 once or twice. But then it never worked again... Weird...

Anybody else out these with similar problems?

Regards,
Paga
Keeping alive, until I die.
2 REPLIES 2
Marcin Golembski_1
Honored Contributor

Did you compare the kernel .config file from RH 7.1 and 7.2, especially the APM/ACPI part? Maybe RH in 7.2 configured something differently than in 7.1.

It's best to have either APM or ACPI compiled in, even though you can have both and the kernel is supposed to detect your PC's BIOS capabilities and use the correct one... I had such a problem with my PC (but not RH).

Marcin
Marco Paganini
Respected Contributor

Hello Marcin,

I surely did. And they match! What makes this problem really interesting is that I *was* able to suspend once or twice using this configuration. After that, no more...

:(

Regards,
Paga
Keeping alive, until I die.