Operating System - HP-UX
1752553 Members
4794 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Changing permissions on /dev/pt devices?

heymanj
Occasional Contributor

Changing permissions on /dev/pt devices?

By default, devices in /dev/pt appear to have the following permissions:

crw-r----- bin sys  12   0x000141 Nov 25 14:30 pt2

Associated hpux documentation says that the Persistent DSFs will retain their name even if the LUN or HBA that it is tied to changes.

My question is if we modify the permissions (640 to 664), would those permissions also be persistent?

Thanks!

jerry

2 REPLIES 2
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Changing permissions on /dev/pt devices?

>> Persistent DSFs will retain their name even if the LUN or HBA that it is tied to changes...

LUNs and HBAs have no connection to PTY devices. Persistent DSF only applies to the path to the device. Permissions for LUNs and HBAs may be changed by the owner at anytime.

>> My question is if we modify the permissions (640 to 664), would those permissions also be persistent?

No. Permission and ownership for PTY devices will change all the time. This is a function of the programs that use the device files. These are temporary device files, lasting only during usage.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Changing permissions on /dev/pt devices?

Bill, not PTYs but /dev/pt/* devices, i.e. new-style SCSI Pass-Through devices on 11.31:

# ioscan -fnNkCctl
Class     I  H/W Path  Driver S/W State   H/W Type     Description
==================================================================
ctl      14  64000/0xfa00/0x32  esctl   CLAIMED     DEVICE       EMC     SYMMETRIX
                      /dev/pt/pt14
ctl      15  64000/0xfa00/0x43  esctl   CLAIMED     DEVICE       EMC     SYMMETRIX
                      /dev/pt/pt15

And yes, if you set custom permissions to the device node, they will stay persistently.

MK