Operating System - HP-UX
1753505 Members
5076 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Congratulations to Mr Steven Sim Kok Leong!

SOLVED
Go to solution
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

Re: Congratulations to Mr Steven Sim Kok Leong!

Congratulations Steven !! Your contributions to this forum is one-of-a-kind and always full of information especially in the network security arena. Thank you and well done !!
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hello Steven,

congratulations on the new head-gear.
Since I know you a little bit closer through your chat-room, I'd like to use this special occasion, to outline, that you are a very nice chap.

See you soon ...

Volker
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Congratulations and well done Steven !

Thanks for your excellent contributions to the forums and hopes you will continue giving awesome tools (like search engine, chat room etc)

Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Congratulations and welcome to the Pharoahs's club Steven.

It's always a pleasure to read your contributions. Keep them up.
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Congrats

Time fo celeration:

Hats for System Administrators; more SA tools.
By Mike Nemeth

In my last article I said there were many other "tools" that I'll save for another time, like hats and finished with the question "How many (hats) do you wear?. Well here are some more I left out including some new ones ! Before I start , I would like to say many of "my" SA tools were thought of by co-workers over the years and I thank them!

Hats; most(?) SAs wear many different hats besides their normal one, mail admin, web master, cm, security, network admin ; sometimes the list seams endless. And of course the SA is always putting out fires. I had a boss who one day call a meeting about a serious problem. He pulled out a kid's fireman (is that fire person now?) hat and put it on. What a great tension breaker it was! Now you can find real or play hats for the different jobs you do. For CM I like a police hat, using a miltary hat for security. Now you can switch that. I've not found a good hat for web master yet. Does any one have any ideas? You'll probably not be able to find a hat for mail admin/postmaster , so you'll have to make it from another hat. Now let us not forget the primary duty of SA. User sometime view SAs as Unix guru's (a turban!) or wizard. It's easy to make your own wizard's pointy hat ; the turban a little trickier. You can find both in various stores.

Speaking of wizards, there is another great tool I've used. How many times has a user express amazement that a problem was fix so soon and asked you how you did it. I grin, pull out my magic wand and say it's Magic! It's fun to go the user workstation, pull out your wand , invoke a few magical names (K&R maybe?) touch the workstation and declare "be fixed" ( I'm a Eddings fan). Now I've heard of SAs with full costumes. It's easy enough to make you own wand ; even old drums stick will do with a few decorations.

Wands, hum. That remind me of a more practical tool. Ok, the power just failed and you DO have a flash light, right? But when did you last check the batteries? Rip, pop, shake. Ah, my trusty light stick to save the day. You know, the weird cold light thing you see a lot of at Halloween and might know of if you a camper. You can get small and large ones. Tape them to your terminal or server or where ever they may be needed. Sometimes they are useful for pushing in to tight places too.

New tools! Since I last wrote I've found two new tools! Bangerz, You slam them down and they make a sound. Mine, Cheeks, is a silly looking orange ball shapes creature that laughs, chuckles and howls. They are about $1.00 where I've seen them (KB toys) and come in many different character, make different sounds. Ever say to a user take a number? Well make up one of those "Now Serving" things with numbers attached. Put the "Now Serving" number as 1 and all the attached numbers the infinity symbol. Does it sometime seem if you are never done?!

Well that's it for now. If any one has some good tools to share I'll include them in my next article. That is if they publish this one <

Manoj Srivastava
someone_4
Honored Contributor

Good going Mr. Leong

~ Richard
Victor_5
Trusted Contributor

Congrats!

harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Steven,

Congratulations! Welcome to the "P" hat club.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Well Done Steven! Welcome to the sand hills of the desert.... Don't forget to bring the beer supplies, the last person in, brings it. Harry has really been busy....

Congratulations, your work in here is 1st class Sir!

Cheers
Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Wodisch_1
Honored Contributor

BTW: Speech, please! No, that should be "sermon", now ;-)