1753913 Members
8950 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Continued problem

David O'Hare
Occasional Contributor

Continued problem

Firstly, thankyou to Steven E. Protter and Martin P.J Zinser for replying to my post. Martin, when i type "dmesg" i get something like this:
ieee1394: SelfID completion called outside of bus reset!
ieee1394: Host added: Node[00:1023] GUID[00004ce0365dc1a6] [Linux OHCI-1394]
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : SCSI host adaptor emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
lp driver loaded but no devices found
sis900.c
divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0
eth0 realtek rtl8201 phy transceiver found at address 1
eth0: using transceiver found at address 1 as default
eth0: sis 900 pci fast ethernet at 0x1800, irq 4, 00:30:13:5d:c1:a6.

When i try /var/log/boot.msg i get an access denied message.
When the screen is scrolling 1 of the lines looks like this (it is hard to tell)
[]csi_J [kernel] 0x69 (0xcdeda176)

I think the other lines are much the same but it is hard to tell.

Steven, do you think there is a chance that my laptop is no good with redhat. Should i throw in the towel?

Thankyoou everyone for all help given.
3 REPLIES 3
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Re: Continued problem

David, might I make a (non-technical) suggestion.

Don't continue making *NEW* threads. Continue on with the exist thread, so all of the effected information stays contained. This makes it easier for those helping you to keep all of issues which have been discussed together.

As for the scrolling lines, this might help you.

As you are booting in to X (gnome), you can run a command called 'xconsole'. These messages will then show up in that window. It also takes an argument ('--file ') which allows you do dump these emssages to a file on your HDD (i.e. xconsole --file /var/log/xconsole.log).

You should be able to easier grab a snap-shot of the contents. Unfortunately a single line is not really enough to help. These messages will probably be 2-3 lines (at least) long. Paste all of these in the thread, and we'll see what other steps we should try.

One long-haired git at your service...
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Dave,

I do agree with the suggestion to stick to one thread, it makes it easier to piece the problem together.

The dmesg output you posted looks ok, but certainly is only a short excerpt of the full one. If you look through the contents are there any obvious errors to report. As for the boot.msg file, you might need to be root to access it.

Greetings, Martin
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

In RH in particular, after boot, the 'dmesg' gets dumped to '/var/log/dmsg', and is usually just shy of 5-7kb.
One long-haired git at your service...