Did you mean: 

couldn't find per display information

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Super Advisor

couldn't find per display information

Hello gurus,

I have a linux (Fedora core 1, XFREE86 ver. 4.0 )box on which I want to export the display from an HPUX11.00 server. On the UX machine I give the right command
setenv DISPLAY :0.0
and I can see with echo $DISPLAY that the new value is right. On the linux box I give
xhost + to enable the remote access end echo $DISPLAY on the linux box returns
:0.0
..but whatever X application I start on the UX server it returns "couldn't find per display information".
Another colleague with a gentoo box on the same LAN segment doesn't have any problem with that ...
Where should I dig further?
N.B. - the linux box is actualy a dual boot machine, the second OS is Window$2000 and I can start from Window$ using ReflectionX an XDMCP session to the UX server without problems...

thank you all,
ionut
If it weren't for STRESS I'd have no energy at all
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: couldn't find per display information

Hello Ionut,

please try the following and report back on the
results:

1.) Open a graphical session on your Linux box.
Do the xhost + in there, run xhost without
arguments to verify access control
2.) Telnet from the to the HPUX server
3.) ping back from the there to your Linux box using the same name/ip address as you want to use in the setenv DISPLAY
4.) set your DISPLAY on the HPUX server
5.) Run a >>simple<< application (like xclock). Report back on the messages you receive.

Greetings, Martin
Highlighted
Super Advisor

Hi,

xhost shows me access control disabled, clients can connect from any host,
from the Unix server I can ping the linux box, but trying to start a xterm failes with the same damn message :-(
/usr/X11R6/bin is in the path, the X server is running and displaying on :0.0, I don't have any other idea ...
What is worse, I have the IP 10.1.40.77, from another linux box (with RedHat7.3 ) with IP 10.1.40.89 I can start an X application on the Unix server ..
Highlighted
Super Advisor

Hi,

who knows how can I start the X server without -nolisten tcp option ? It looks like this is the problem - x11 doesn't listen on tcp , but the problem is I couldn't find the right configuration file - I have commented out such a line in the conf file for the font server but it's not enough.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Solution

Cool... working in 2 forums with the same question ;-)

You might check the /etc/inittab file.
Or it is in the xdm configuration files. On most linux versions X is started by xdm.

You might look in your process list for the parent of the X server process to view which program is responsible...
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
Highlighted
Super Advisor

first your well deserved 10 points, Elmar - you gave me the right idea - now: the problem was the variable DisallowTCP=true who is defined in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf file, the gdm deamon starts X with -nolisten tcp option if this variable is true, so I have set it to false and restart X, know is working perfectly.