108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CPU temperature monitoring

John Paine
Frequent Advisor

CPU temperature monitoring

Hi,
anyone out there know of any CPU temperature
monitoring tools for linux?...apart from lm_sensors which involves making a new kernel..
Thanks,
John.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
6 REPLIES 6
Frank Gilsdorf
Advisor

Re: CPU temperature monitoring

Hi John,

lm_sensors don't need to build a new kernel. Maybe you have to build new kernel-modules. But if you don't have a to exoctic mainboard the modules should work.

If you are using RedHat install the lm_sensors.rpm from 1st CD and start sensor-detect.

Frank
John Paine
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the response Frank but I couldn't find the rpm on any of the CD's....I'll have a search on the web....
John.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Frank Gilsdorf
Advisor

Hi John,

I'm using RedHat 7.2 and it's on the 1st CD.

Frank
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor
Emile van Heerden

Hi All, Just been thinking of temperature monitoring of a range of HP servers for data collection. We are working on rack spacing and heat removal for our data centres and I am hoping to set up a monitoring system for our server CPU├в s as an experiment. I see some notes on the subject and an hoping somebody got a system running and would like to share the information on setting up such a system over a LAN. Kind regards
Emi
Mike Jagdis
Advisor

If it's an HP server running Linux, install HP's monitoring daemon package. That'll build and load a kernel module and start a few daemons. You can then get temp (and lots of other stuff) via their web interface or just read /proc/cpqtemp directly (like all^wmost /proc files it's just text).