1753776 Members
7634 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

cups on HPUX

Bart.Vermeiren
Frequent Advisor

cups on HPUX

I'm working on a PARISC 11.23 server currently to install the latest cups version. Therefore I had to install PNG, JPEG, TIFF, and ZLIB libraries, bash and gcc plus runtime dependencies for them all.
The configuration is done by the next command:
> LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" ; \
> DSOFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" ; \
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/cups
After this, I change the Makedefs file for SHELL = /usr/local/bin/bash.

When I run make all(or gmake all), I get a lot of errors like "warning: array subscript has type 'char'", "warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*'" and "warning: missing sentinel in function call". I have put the output in a txtfile.

The result is that when I run gmake install (or make install), everything looks ok. When I start cups however only the home page from the cups website is available. lpadmin and lpstat don't work properly either.
4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: cups on HPUX

>I get a lot of errors like "warning: array subscript has type 'char'", "warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*'" and "warning: missing sentinel in function call".

These are just warnings. The first is just a stylistic one. I suppose a possible error if it is a signed char and that is unexpected.
The second is just warning you that string constant are const char* and you are really violating type safety. But this is still allowed in C++.

I don't know about the "sentinel" one?
Perhaps you don't have an anchor arg when you have "..."?
Bart.Vermeiren
Frequent Advisor

I don't understand what you mean with "anchor argument". Can you elaborate on that?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I don't understand what you mean with "anchor argument".

int printf(const char *fmt, ...);
fmt is the anchor. The C Standard uses parmN.
While you can have "..." without the anchor you can't use va_start in that function. Perhaps that's the warning?
Bart.Vermeiren
Frequent Advisor

Ok, it appeared that the sentinel error came from imagetoraster.c:251: warning: missing sentinel in function call => Change the "NULL" by "(char *)0" and now this error is gone. (I had some help from a colleague who understands C a bit better then I do -> I flunked for that one)