New Discussion юеВ

Re: Debian Linux vs. Solaris 9 vs. Mac OS X vs. Win XP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Blaq Dawg
Occasional Contributor

Thanks guys for the useful replies.

I agree entirely that it comes down to what I want it for. As Alan wrote "If this is for a graphics or music studio, then Mac" well that's exactly what i want it for. Though I have never really appriciated the Mac, maybe it will be a learning curve for me to learn another OS besides Unix/Linux and Windows.

I know one thing Mac should do... provide a wider variety of games.

Dx o_0?
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Actually, there's less games on Mac than there are for PC/XP ;)

Anyway.

The Mac (even prior to OSX) has always been what real graphic artists use :) (My brother loves his Mac.. far too much than should be good for a person).

And Alan.. *flame*flame*flame* *mumbles* using windows for something like mail or dns *mumbles*
One long-haired git at your service...
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Stuart

Maybe it is just because I have a better proclivity for windows-based products than other products (although my resume says I have far more time as a *nix admin than anything else). I never can seem to get a stable, working version of sendmail or bind going right on any *nix platform (I've had better results with djbdns, however). My DDNS setups in 2k seem to just chug along, though.

Although I'll use Exchange if it is forced upon me, my preferences are for ArGoSoft and Merak mail servers. I'm particularly fond of Merak because I'll run it on a 9x box. My mail server has been up for 2 years with nary a complaint.

Maybe the survival of my setups is due to that smoothwall box I have between my DMZ and the Internet.

Let me throw a couple more preferences in: I really like HP-UX if I'm going to be doing any kind of hard-core hardware testing. I like Freedos if I have to throw together some kind of network boot floppy/cd for Ghost'ing, and I like like Solaris for pkgadd (more grumbles, moans, and flames expected). :)