Operating System - HP-UX
1752607 Members
4641 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Discussion - Various strategies taken by HP-UX admins to rectify performance problems

ashutosh99
Frequent Advisor

Discussion - Various strategies taken by HP-UX admins to rectify performance problems

Hi All,

I want to discuss various approach taken by different admins to approach a problem with the servers. For the sake of contaning the discussion within a given boundary, I want to discuss perf problems in this thread.

My approach is that I just try as many perf commands I know to identify the problems with my servers. This approach has worked so far for me. But, I've coming across very weird problems and I frequently have to call up HP. So, I thought to mooch of the collective knowledge of all the admins present over here :). In fact, the whole point of starting this thread is that I'm too lazy to do good research and this is my way of asking for help from all thos KIND admins presnt out here.

Therefore, if you have some time and would like to help a lazy admin, please share your approach for pin-pointing a problem and steps taken to troubleshoot the problem. The only thing I can offer is free kudos to all replies.

Thanks,
Ashutosh Singh

1 REPLY 1
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Discussion - Various strategies taken by HP-UX admins to rectify performance problems

I would suggest a forum search for "performance" or the like.

The first thing you need to find is what is the resource contention?  disk, networking, memory, application, OS, etc.

Some tools:

1) glance: good for system level.

2) caliper: good for application level.

3) Various commands: swapspace -tam, vmstat ...

4) top: simplistic, ps(1) for more details.