3493 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Display settngs problem

shanmugt
Advisor

Display settngs problem

Hi,
I try to launch a GUI application in HPUX through remote execution on a Linux machine by exporting the display.ie., Exporting the display from Linux to HPUX.The actual application resides in Linux.

The GUI is also launched, but I could see that the GUI display ( fonts, colour ) is different to that when I launch in Linux directly.

How can I overcome this? Do I have to check any Display configuration in HPUX.

Kindly provide your views.

Regards.
6 REPLIES 6
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

could be the Display settings under the Linux,

or

you could try from your pc /workstation using any X Window Applications. software

example:-

Hummingbird

Thanks,
Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
shanmugt
Advisor

No.My requirement is to display that in HPUX but no changes in the GUI apperance is allowed.

Display should be the same as it is in Linux.Any options or any reasons why it appears so.
likid0
Honored Contributor

If you are using ssh with Xforwarding to connect to the linux box from the HP-UX server, you don't have to export your display.

But if you are using ssh without forwarding or telnet you need to export your display, after you ssh do a #export DISPLAY=IPHPUXSERVER:0.0
and a #xhost +

then try just a simple #xterm
Windows?, no thanks
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Regarding fonts:
Fonts may be different because HP-UX includes a standard collection of commercial Motif fonts, which must be licensed to distribute them. The price of the font license is included in the price of HP-UX. Most Linuxes won't include commercial fonts, and replace them with freeware alternatives. Sometimes these freeware fonts e.g. cover more Unicode characters than the standard Motif fonts.

X Window System is designed to handle different fonts gracefully: if the X server system (which is actually displaying the GUI) does not have the exact font the application is requesting, it can use the "closest matching" font.

You could make the Linux machine run a network-accessible font server and add the Linux font server to the font path of the HPUX system. This would allow the HPUX system to use the exact same fonts as the Linux system.

The font server is usually named "xfs" (or "xfstt" if it includes TrueType font support). Install it from your Linux distribution's package repository if it isn't installed, read its documentation and start it. On a modern Linux distribution, the font server may be configured to serve only localhost by default: to allow HPUX to use Linux's font server, you must remove this restriction.

Regarding colours:
The X Window System can define colours by abstract names, like "DarkGoldenrod". The list of colour names and their RGB values is /etc/X11/rgb.txt in Linux, /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt in HP-UX. If your Linux system has more color definitions than your HP-UX system, add the missing definitions to the rgb.txt file of the HP-UX system and restart the X server.

MK
MK
shanmugt
Advisor

That would help me.Could you indicate how to restart Xserver.

Meanwhile, I made use of xrdb and .Xdefaults to solve the problem atleast for the colour problem.

Thanks.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

to stop and start cde

# /sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc stop

# /sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc start

to re-read the config file reset the session

# /sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc reset

Andy