5668 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G3

Seva Feldman
Occasional Contributor

DL360 G3

Hi All,

The main problem that cdrom installed by default in this server can not be recognized by Linux 9 installation at boot sequence (I think this is a speed recognition problem). We had escalated this issue with HP, but no answer till now. Only solution we found was to change the existing drive with 360 G2 drive. Funny , but this works perfectly for us. Also we found that Norton Ghost bootable CD driver can not recognize CDROM speed and use x2 speed. Think about transfer 600MB image with x2 speed. I'm crying every time.. The quetion why should I buy 360G3 with this kind of BUG.

5 REPLIES 5
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

Seva, [Privet & Shalom!]

This issue (DL360G3 & RHL 9) seems to be the most frequently asked question in this group.

RHL 9 isn't targeted to Proliants, I suggest you to use RHEL 2.1 for now and RHEL 3.0 from October.

See

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x7438648175aa5d449a1af50f62057642,00.html

for links

Regards,
Vitaly

Seva Feldman
Occasional Contributor

Hi Vitaly!

Do you understand what is a meaning of you words - "RHL9 does not support Proliant server". As I remember RHL 9 is a linux kernel + installation process + a lot of RPMS. Linux is a operation system and words "advanced or enterprise" are only for preconfigured systems.
I need minimal installation with customized kernel to install with kickstart. So should I buy 1k Linux "server" :-(. May be Big Company named HP will check this issue and make upgrade for CDROM firmware ... maybe. If HP wants to have a big piece of Linux market cake they should work harder.

Regards.

Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

1) RHEL isn't 1K $$ software, it starting from $179 for RHEL WS

2) the bug, IMHO, is in RH9 kernel, check bugzilla

but again - RH & HP don't support such (RHL9 + Proliant) configuration [IMHO]

3) as far as I remember, there are few workarounds suggested in previous discussions - using non-CDROM install and so on

4) as far as I remember, RH7.x install works fine with 360G3

dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

Since the poster mentioned that 'ghost' does not recognise this cdrom either, i think it is a much broader problem then just RH9.
I'm sure all those NT admins are not too happy about this, since ghost is a pretty important tool for them.
The solution could be something as simple as a firmware/bios upgrade from HP.
KristofH
Frequent Advisor

OH well, at last, in the group found an answer and solution to the well-known "RH9 on Proliant" problem..

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x4b3739c827d6a54899d09152cebf36bd,00.html

Updated boot floppy can be downloaded. thanks to the original poster!

Cheers...