5674 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: evolution annoyance...

K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

evolution annoyance...

All,
I saved off my .evolution folder from FC3. cold installed my laptop with FC4. Moved .evolution folder over; start up evolution. Things seem to be working fine. When quiting, evolution prompted me with "restart application" or close. I click on restart. Then quit again. This time it quit without issue. This happens every time. moving out my .evoution folder from FC3 and starting evolution again, every thing works; it quited without any problem. Any idea why my .evolution folder is causing evolution from FC4 to behave this way? Thanks.
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour
4 REPLIES 4
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

The evolution shipped with FC3 and FC4 are entirely different and it is expected that the evolution shipped with FC4 does not understand the .evolution folder properly. In open source you can not expect backward compatibility always.

So either try to import the old .evolution folder in to new evolution (by using Import functionality) or try to dig up the issue which is causing the restart error and solve it.

Hope this helps,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Yup Gopi's right. That's what I did, having the same issue as you had... in my case, the import feature went so well that it did propose itself to import from my very .evolution folder... then failled of course (recursively writting in the same folder). I renamed my old and valuable .evolution to .evolution2, relan=unched evolution and imported from there, got everything back, except contact categories that I had to re-create (contacts themselves imported well).

HTH

Jerome
You can lean only on what resists you...
Andrew Bruce
Valued Contributor

For what it's worth, in my case, going from FC2 to FC4, I clean installed my laptop, then restored my home directory (including my FC2 .evolution folder).

When I ran Evolution, it asked if I wanted to import my 1.4 version folders into 2.2 and it all seemed to work fine.

However, having said that, I am currently having an issue where Evolution freezes up for ~30 seconds every minute or so which is *damn* annoying when trying to type an email.

I also get various crashes when logging out (not just Evolution), which are somewhat bugging me. I am on my own-rolled kernel 2.6.12 so maybe that has something to do with it... ;-)
I Love it when a plan comes together!
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

All,
thanks for you help. I found the problem. It was vfolders.xml under mail dir, I had vfolder name "status of server", Changing it to "Status of server" fixed it. I guess "status of server" or a combination of the phrase is a reserved?
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour