New Discussion юеВ

Fbackup strategy

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carter Jay
Advisor

Fbackup strategy

Hello,

I want to perform an incremental backup each day of the week(Mon--Thu), a full one every friday.
1 . I use sam to do this (using fbackup), but how can i put all the incremental of the week on one tape ( using Omn?), the usage of the server is actually about 4 Go, and 1 tape should be enough for all the week bck?
2 . Is the harware compression automatic when the bck is launched (45-70Go)?
3 . For the incremental on one tape, should I use dd or cpio, or something like that, with some compression.
4 . What is the real difference beetween all tape device (rewind or not is ok but the others)?
0m
0mn
c4t4d0BEST
c4t4d0BESTn
I know the other are for BSD.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Jerome
4 REPLIES 4
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Fbackup strategy

Jerome,

fbackup requires you to use the "no rewind" device file, so I'm afraid you can't.

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Jerome,

Here's a good discussion of multiple fbackup sessions on one tape:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xeefb911284f5d5118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html

I found this by doing a boolean search of the forums using +fbackup +multiple as keywords.

Pete

Pete
Sajid_1
Honored Contributor

1) It depends on the size of the tape. If you think the data will increase only up to 4GB in the week days, then a media with 4GB capazity will be enough. In any case, you will get a root mail or syslog.log message if the backup is waiting for another media.
2) The hardware compression is depend on the media and the device file which you are using for backup. For eg: If you are using the device file - /dev/rmt/c0t0d0BEST, then the data will be compressed during backup.
3) The best method is to use fbackup for incrementals (if you don't have a special backup software like OB). You can automate everything through sam.
4) 0m -normal backup
0mn - normal, no rewind
c4t4d0BEST - compressed
c4t4d0BESTn - compressed, no rewin
learn unix ..
Mark Ellzey
Valued Contributor

Jerome,

If your budget permits, you may want to investigate a tape library. That way you get the incremental backup you want, just on a different tape each day, automatically.

Regards,
Mark