1753856 Members
7702 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ftp or ip slowness?

SOLVED
Go to solution

ftp or ip slowness?

Very recently, there was a post from a user asking if anyone else had a problem that he was experiencing. It had something to do with FTP or IP slowness type issue on HP-UX 11.11 that he said HP wasn't going to fix in the near term.

I wish that message would have rung a bell when I was reading it ... now I cannot find it!

We are having some FTP slowness issues that started in one case when we migrated an application from a 10.20 box to an 11.11 box and another case when and IBM mainframe updated it's O/S and tcp/ip stack ... it ftp's to an 11.00 box.

Does anyone have the link to the previous post?
Thanks in advance!
Michele
6 REPLIES 6
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor
Solution

That was an NFS issue.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

That was the one ... the NFS issue. I guess that's not exactly my problem. Thanks for sending me the link though, It was really bothering me that I couldn't find it!
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Do you want to go into further depth with your issue with FTP??

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
IE Admins
Advisor

I have had issues with network bandwidth in the past. After installing a couple of new RP7400's (HPUX 11.0) I found woeful network performance (made obvious by large ftp's and/or remote copies).

The solution for me was to do with locking the network cards and switch port into 100T full duplex. Seems that the newer network cards don't auto negotiate very well with our Cisco gear...
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Hey I had a problem like that when I put in sep2001 patch updates. At that time, most of my LAN cards flat out stopped! The problem was with how some of the lan cards worked with a cisco switch.

The original solution (from a year earlier), was we fixed the speed of the cards and switch ports to 100FD. To get them to work after the patch, I had to set them to AUTO.

Somehow the switch port speed changed to 100HD. And the new patches didn't like it. Our network guy set the ports to 100FD, and I set the cards to 100FD. Then they worked again.

Here are a couple of commands that may help. (They help me at least).

"netstat -in" told me which card had which ip.
"lanadmin -v" told me what type of card (btlan4).
"what /stand/vmunix | grep btlan4" told me the patch that applied to this card.
"lanadmin -x 2" told me the speed settings of lan2.

steve