108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

getconf CS_MACHINE_SERIAL not working

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carl Houseman
Super Advisor

getconf CS_MACHINE_SERIAL not working

History: This RP7420 didn't have its serial number set in the MP from the get-go. It is running vPars 1.3 and there are two HP-UX 11.11 vPars.

The MP serial # has now been established, and both ignite and parstatus return the serial number. But 'getconf CS_MACHINE_SERIAL' still returns a blank line. So does 'getconf CS_MACHINE_IDENT'.

Can anyone tell me if they have a HP-UX 11.11 and vPars 1.3 that does return something using getconf?

and/or

Can anyone say what has to be done to HP-UX to get it to know these values? Other than re-installing the OS from scratch of course.

thanks all.
8 REPLIES 8
Hasan  Atasoy
Honored Contributor

Re: getconf CS_MACHINE_SERIAL not working

Carl Houseman
Super Advisor

I guses I should have said "I have already read the other threads on serial number issues. They do not answer either of the two questions at the end of my post. Please do not reply unless you can provide information not found in other posts.
Hasan  Atasoy
Honored Contributor

hi carl ;

look at in the mp for "id" output .
it must contain A7025A for the model number. if you see AB206A as model number , you should change it to A7025A to see serial number.

HAsan.
Carl Houseman
Super Advisor

Hasan,

How do you know this? It does indeed have AB206A for the product number. Where else can I read that the wrong product number in the MP will prevent HP-UX from having a CS_MACHINE_IDENT value?

Reason I ask is that HP Support has been unable to figure this out. Twice I've rebooted the hard partition over a weekend after HP made changes to MP ID values. I want to be sure, if I must do this again, that it's going to work.

Thanks,
Carl
Hasan  Atasoy
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi carl ;

The model number AB206A is not recognized by the swid algorithm.

You need to set the model number to A7025A, which is the base model
number for the rp7420.

Once you make the changes, using the MP:CM>ID command you will have to
reboot the partition in order for the changes to take effect.

you should talk with your local support according to previous lines..

Hasan
whiteknight
Honored Contributor

Carl,

What is your output ?

MP:CM> id

MP modifiable stable complex configuration data fields.
Model String : 9000/800/rp7420
Complex System Name :
Original Product Number: AB206A >>
Current Product Number : AB206A >>
UUID :
Creator Manufacturer : hp
Creator Product Name : rp7420
Creator Serial Number : USR42262DX
OEM Manufacturer :
OEM Product Name :
OEM Serial Number :
Diagnostic license : Disabled

suspected your model number is not set properly, my advise to log case to HP Support

WK
Problem never ends, you must know how to fix it
Carl Houseman
Super Advisor

whitenight, you may have noticed from prior followup I already have a case open with HP and they didn't know what to do...

Hasan, thanks for the confirmation, HP has made the change, now I have to wait for a weekend to reset the partition. Again.

Points will be assigned pending results!
Carl Houseman
Super Advisor

Setting the model number to A7025A fixed the problem. Thanks Hasan for recognizing and explaining the problem and whitenight for repeating what Hasan said. :)