1752780 Members
6825 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

hdd 1 linux, hdd 2 XP try to boot

aydemir

hdd 1 linux, hdd 2 XP try to boot

Hello,
I have two SATA HDD. There are OSs - XP at my hdd0 and Fedora at my hdd1. My problem is i can not select when my computer pass bios start. It is automatically boot fedora. If I take off hdd1 and restart computer then Xp comes screen and open. I make grub.conf file like that but it didnt work
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.25-14.fc9.i686)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 ro root=UUID=086f3fd8
title XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
3 REPLIES 3
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

Re: hdd 1 linux, hdd 2 XP try to boot

in your scenarion you can't do it.because when your MBR (master boot record) of XP and fedora in different HDD.

before doing dual boot you need to combie the two hdd and in same MBR you need to install the OS.

the affect would be. first you can install XP then, during installation you can specify you the default boot of OS.
a warrior never quits
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

You can use the bott manager - http://gag.sourceforge.net/

Install it first on any blank floppy for tests.

regards,
ivan
aydemir

Hello again,

i dont understand about combining two HDDs MBR section. Could u please tell me that how can i combine this two MBR and as a result of that getting one MBR over which and how?

Also i look at the boot manager page that Ivan wrote to me. I read properties of GAG boot loader, it doesnt mention about Linux but it says that supporting 9 different OSs. So i think it must support Linux musnt it?

Also if i want to use GAG i should skip GRUB loader in order to avoid crushes am i right?