6138 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help needed to improve the performance on HP

Satya_6
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Will I get a better performance by using the latest compiler? Assuming the the latest compiler does a better code optimization, Now I am using the aCC A.03.65

TIA
Satya
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Not surprising that its faster on Linux assuming this is a recent Intel/AMD chipset. However, since it sounds like it must run on the HP, the best approach would probably be to profile the code, and start isolating which pieces of code have the longest runtimes, and start tuning/recoding those pieces to run faster. I seriously doubt that the WHOLE application underperforms, it almost always seems like that in general one must deal with say 3 to 5 key areas, plus 4 or 5 more less serious areas to tune up problems like this. However, the coding required to tune up some of these could be major. It can be ugly, but the approach usually follows the basic pattern of obtaining a execution time profile,
then following the Pareto principle to look for the tuning opportunities which give the biggest yield for the smallest effort first. Then re-evaluate the remainders for effort-sizing/potential-return.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Jini Susan George
Occasional Advisor

Hi Satya,

Caliper is available only for Itanium machines. For PA-RISC, you would need to use prospect (available at http://www.hp.com/go/prospect).

Regards,
- Jini.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Will I get a better performance by using the latest compiler?

Probably not as much as on Integrity.