New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to identify enclosure / bay number from linux OS on blade server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brett Cave
Occasional Advisor

How to identify enclosure / bay number from linux OS on blade server

hi,

I would like to find out if and how its possible to determine which bay and enclosure a blade is located in from the OS.

I have a custom deployment system (linux pxe system with nfs kickstart install), and would like to script setup based on location within an enclosure. For example, set up mysql if server is in bay3, enclosure1.

How would I go about doing this? I am assuming I would need to install some of the hp agents, and speak to the agent somehow?
3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you're running Linux on an Itanium blade (BL860c), the command "hpbmc" will display the enclosure and blade names, and the blade bay number, among other things.

If your blade uses x86_64 hardware, install the hpasm driver package (either standalone or a part of the Proliant Support Pack) and execute something like this:

hpasmcli -s "show name; show server; show portmap"

Disclaimer: all my x86_64 Linuxes are non-blades and all my blades are Itaniums (some HP-UX, some Linux). But as far as I understand, the hpasmcli command ought to be able to produce the information you need.

MK
MK
Brett Cave
Occasional Advisor

100%, exactly what i was looking for.

Running bl465c's with x86_64 architecture.

from
#hpasmcli -s "show portmap"
i can see the portmappings, and determine my bay number from that. Unfortunately, I cant use the name, because the scripting I am doing has to cater for blade rip-and-replace type functionality, so hopefully there are no logic gaps that will break this.
Brett Cave
Occasional Advisor

Solution found.