1752766 Members
5105 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8 booting to GRUB

Solidblueliquid
Occasional Contributor

HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8 booting to GRUB

The other day the machine started flashing red on the front (HP Proliant Microserver GEN8) so i rebooted the machine and it now starts up into Grub. 

On the bootup i'm seeing the standard BIOS and then it says the boot drive is missing, so i try and login to IP to resolve it but it fails and jumps to GRUB. 

I've logged into the iLOv4 firmware version 2.55, search HPE and found two revisions, but both attempts to install this via the Web Console fail. I'm unable to access the machine via SSH or SFTP into it to load and run the firmware, so i'm pretty stuck. Any help would be appreciated

3 REPLIES 3
Solidblueliquid
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8 booting to GRUB

After a lot of messing about i've made some progress, i downloaded the windows update and used 7zip to extract the BIN from it, then updated the firmware to 2.70.

Performed a NAND reset using the untilty from the HP site and rebooted the machine. IP still didn't work, so i've downloaded the ISO and installed it to a 16GB USB (tried my 32GB but it wouldn't accept it, probably too big).

Ran the HP Boot untitly and created a boot USB, and started the server with this. Re-installed IP this got the IP back for me.

Solidblueliquid
Occasional Contributor

I've not got it booting and installing Centos from a USB stick however i can't get the server to load afterwards. Anyone got any ideas?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Solidblueliquid wrote:

The other day the machine started flashing red on the front (HP Proliant Microserver GEN8) so i rebooted the machine and it now starts up into Grub. 

On the bootup i'm seeing the standard BIOS and then it says the boot drive is missing, so i try and login to IP to resolve it but it fails and jumps to GRUB. 

I've logged into the iLOv4 firmware version 2.55, search HPE and found two revisions, but both attempts to install this via the Web Console fail. I'm unable to access the machine via SSH or SFTP into it to load and run the firmware, so i'm pretty stuck. Any help would be appreciated

Sounds like the boot disk has failed.   Not being able to access IP is a seperate issue

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!