1753960 Members
7435 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX Media and License for c8000 Workstations

OldSchool
Honored Contributor

Re: HP-UX Media and License for c8000 Workstations

as noted in the OP's usenet thread regarding this, as well as here, the LTU came with the hdw. Simple possession of the hdw grants the LTU.

As to the media, the original owner can lend the media to anybody. What is not permitted is to duplicate the media an sell the dupe(s). As long as its original media, the owner can lend or sell it as desired.

The remaining issue would be any software you might require that needs a codeword. An example of such would be the full C compiler suite (as opposed to the bundled one used to build kernels).

That could be an issue if you were to make an Ignite copy of the "contacts" system would pick that up as well. I don't know that it would run, but it certainly would violate all kinds of license requirements for botht the OP and his/her contact.
Marco DV
Advisor

Thanks everyone.
I share all your ideas about media and licenses, but unfortunately we stay in the assumptions realm and I still can't find any official answers :)... or not complete ones, at least: Duncan, I already tried contacting "those folks" at the HP Licensing Information Centre EMEA, and I've only been told that it is illegal to use other people's media in any way, which includes copying and borrowing; they suggested asking to resellers, but they've been useless so far, as I wrote.

Regarding license transfers and their differences between servers and workstations, this document talks about it:
http://www.hp.com/softwarereleases/releases-media2/slt/emea/hpux.html
It tells that a transfer is not needed for workstations, which makes me suppose that any license automatically moves with the hardware, but again, we get into assumptions...

I'd guess the situation will be clearer in September, when resellers here around will be fully working again and the boss of our contact will be back from holidays and will possibly lend us the media without hesitation ;).
Marco DV
Advisor

Hi all.
We eventually obtained to borrow the installation media from our contact, and guess what? We can't make them work on our machines :(.

Installation crashes very soon after booting from the DVD, with no meaningful (for us, at least) logs.

Our machines are slightly newer than the one owned by our contact, produced maybe 1 year later (end of 2005 instead of 2004).
The installed OS on our contact's machine is HP-UX 11i v1 (B.11.11), and the three DVDs he gave us have the same version on the label, although the label says they are from 2003. Another, more strange, thing is that the DVD labels say "TCOE", while he has MTOE installed.

Now... we start thinking that these DVDs are actually not the real DVDs where the system has been installed from. Maybe it was installed form other media or disk image and then the source was taken away by the same person who installed it.

Any other clues?
Thanks.

So does your contact have a C8000? Or an earlier model C class workstation?

The first release of 11i to support the C8000 was I think Dec 04 - you can see comments in the release notes about this here:

http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-0671/ch05s03.html

So I suspect you'll need media of at least Dec 04 to install from...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Marco DV
Advisor

Hi Duncan,
our contact's machine is a c8000, too; it's just a bit older. We noticed this by also looking at the HD models installed inside.

You seem to confirm our theory, that the media they have are not the real ones which have been used to install the system...