9152 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPUX per socket licensing

pgupta101
Occasional Visitor

HPUX per socket licensing

Hi,

Can someone pls help me understand how per socket licensing works for HPUX DC-OE and VSE-OE env.

If i want to run 10 vpars in a HPUX host with DC-OE, how many per socket licenses in need to pruchase for host and vpars? assuming the Host has 10 number of 8-core sockets.installed. thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Hawkeye
HPE Pro

Hi,

HP-UX licensing for i2 and later servers is based on a Per-Socket License (PSL).

Earlier platforms use a Per-Core license (PCL).

So, assuming you have a Superdome 2 nPar with 10x 8c CPU installed e.g. 10p/80c and you want to run either VSE-OE or DC-OE in the vPars configured in this nPar, then for HP-UX you would need:-

10x VSE-OE PSL LTU or

10x DC-OE PSL LTU

Plus associated Support item for the above e.g.

10x 3yr Foundation Care 24x7 Support

I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

pgupta101
Occasional Visitor

Thanls for the reply. Need more help pls, to uderstand the licensing at Host /Guest OS level.

If i have 10x VSE-OE and 10x DC-OE licenses, how many instances of OS can be installed, assuning 10p/80v setup...

For exmaple 1 would install few npar with DC OE and inside that nPar will install vpars with VSE-OE ? will it limit the count of instances of OS i can install ? How many instances of Virtual Machines can be installed which will only be assigned few cores ?

in short, can the count of OS instances exceed 20  (that is total of 10 DCOE +10 VSEOE licenses) , by any means like combination of host.,npar,vpar,VMs installed ? 

Hope i didn't confuse witth my question. Thank you so much for your time.