Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPUX vs SAN Domain ID 8

Highlighted
Super Advisor

HPUX vs SAN Domain ID 8

Hi guys.

I wanna make sure that the Domain ID 8 problem was corrected in HP-UX 11.31 or is it still there?

I ran into a problem... I'm operating an rp8420 running HP-UX 11.11, I have SAN access through 2 cards, we have SAN disks that are coming from the local data center and 1 disk (for my cluster lock) that is coming from another data center, so another SAN unit. We have migrate my server to a new SAN switch. Since then, the disk that is coming from another SAN unit, for a reason, is presented on 1 of my card on Domain ID 8, so I don't see it...

I've asked the SAN team, cause I don't deal with this techno, to change that Domain ID to another, they told me they can't cause it will impact a lot of our customers... They've check with Hitachi and HP a solution on the OS side, and they came up to me with an upgrade from 11.11 to 11.31. This can be a big project, since there's no direct way to upgrade 11.11 to 11.31.

Regards
Jonathan
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super Advisor

Re: HPUX vs SAN Domain ID 8

I finally opened a call... It was told to me that the Domain ID 8 is still reserved for a Private loop...

Hello Jonathan,

The following information applies for HP-UX 11i v1, 11i v2, and 11i v3.

To maintain backward compatibility, the domain of 8 is reserved for use with Private Loop devices.
HP-UX uses a Domain ID of 8 to indicate private loops.
Fibre Channel switches seen by HP-UX hosts cannot be configured with domain ID of 8.
The configuration with switches with a domain of 8 is unsupported and will not work.
HP systems reserve domain 8 for Private Loop devices.

For additional information please check the following document using the link below.

HP Fibre Channel Fabric Migration Guide

<>

Also please check the following document on page 30.

<>

Highlighted
Super Advisor

Re: HPUX vs SAN Domain ID 8

See above