Operating System - HP-UX
1752632 Members
5569 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

I fail to install HP-UX on my C8000... After install loops...

Diebstahl

I fail to install HP-UX on my C8000... After install loops...

Hi. Hope you can help me as I'm a total newby to HP-UX... I recently bought a used C8000 with dual PA8900, 16GB of RAM and dual HD since I always wanted to play with Catia and though this be a good budget machine to start with

The specs looked great and initial start-up and checks good but unfortunately the install of 11.11 always stops at the same point, no matter how many times I reinstalled. What am I doing wrong

Description: During the whole installation process (from CD, with stripped HD) all runs smoothly, no faults at all. It restarts for the first time and I enter name, root pass etc. But that wants to restart the system to let me login xWindows with the root path and already says: ""Init: Command is respawning to rapidly". No other clues what the fault might be, and then it restarts and loops at the early beginning when it just shows the details of the graphic card :/

Only thing I noticed during all this reinstalls is, that it mentions that it failed to "start RTC deamon" Is that a clue??

I'd be really happy for every hint I can get, would be so great to get this up running!

2 REPLIES 2
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Re: I fail to install HP-UX on my C8000... After install loops...

Which release of 11.11 did you install?

Bypass the CDE login (its been a while since Ive worked with a CDE desktop, but I think I recall an option to login via command line).

Post a copy of the /etc/rc.log file for us to view.

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Emil Velez_2
Trusted Contributor

Re: I fail to install HP-UX on my C8000... After install loops...

change the init default level to 2 instead of 3

you can boot up into single user mode and do a init 2 to only goto run levlel 2

Emil Velez
Instructor Storage, Servers, HP-UX and Partner Courses
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Education Services
Ask me about training on StoreServ (3PAR) StoreOnce, StoreEasy, StoreAll, StoreVirtual, HP-UX, ServiceGuard and HPE Partner Ready Certification Training

internet: Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/emilvelez

HPE Master ASE Server Solutions Architect V3
HPE Master ASE Storage Solutions Architect V2
HP UNIX Certified (ASE HPUX 11iv3 Administration V1)
Certified HPE Instructor
HPE Product Certified - OneView [2016]
HP Sales Certified -Servers, Converged Systems and Services [2015]
HPE Product Certified - Converged Solutions [2017]