New Discussion юеВ

Inactivity Timeouts for HP-UX 11.11

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeremy Sheehan
Frequent Advisor

Inactivity Timeouts for HP-UX 11.11

Hello Guru's,

I got dinged in a SOX audit about not having inactivity timeouts setup on my production systems.

I found a place where I can put one into the .profile

TMOUT=900; export TMOUT

This will work for a 15 minute timeout (for test purposes of course).

My questions are,
Will this have any ramifications for any cron jobs?
Any running processes (I'm an oracle house - Can't have my db shutting down b/c of inactivity timeouts!)?

Will this only affect people using SSH/telnet connections?

Any help is great! Thanks!

Jeremy
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Inactivity Timeouts for HP-UX 11.11

>>Will this have any ramifications for any cron jobs?

Nope.

>>Any running processes

Nope

>>Will this only affect people using SSH/telnet connections?

Correct. However, this is only effective for users sitting at a shell prompt. If you are in an application, have a menu running, or invoke vi and just sit there, then the TMOUT will not time out the session.
Jeremy Sheehan
Frequent Advisor

WOOHOO! That's what I was hoping to hear!

Thank you!
Jeremy Sheehan
Frequent Advisor

I think that satisfies my question! Much appreciated!
Anshumali
Esteemed Contributor

TMOOUT only applies to shell
This wouldn't be for cron and DB will not go down.
For SSH, i think you need to check for sshd_config
Telnet will be affected.....

Cheers!
Anshu
Dreams are not which you see while sleeping, Dreams are which doesnt allow you to sleep while you are chasing for them!!
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

The TMOUT var is a shell variable so it would effect anything running a shell that also read the profile that set the TMOUT.

>>Will this have any ramifications for any cron jobs?
>>Any running processes (I'm an oracle house - Can't have my db shutting down b/c of inactivity timeouts!)?

Cron jobs are active when they run so the thought is that they would not encounter any timeout ( not like you have a cron job that started a shell and just stat there doing nothing )

Oracle ? If you are concerned then do not include the timeout in the oracle profile ( or disable in the oracle startups).

You best bet is to enable in non-prod and record the issues over a month or two.

Warn your users that this has been tested to the best of your ability but this change may effect the availability of the production environment just as any other change would do.

Past experiences with idle timeouts was the business yelled, screamed and complained and if the business big cheese had enough clout the idle timouts were removed, if not they just accepted it.