1748169 Members
4162 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing 3rd party software on HP-UX 10.20

nettronic
Occasional Advisor

Installing 3rd party software on HPUX 10.20

Firstly, I am probably using the wrong syntax. My google-fu only returns results for installing the Operating system nothing about software.

So please excuse my poor language skills.

We have a 712/100 running a survey software. I was told to simply tar the folder from the working machine then unpack it on the new Visualize C360 (I made sure to retain folder heirarchy). This was done via a mounted exported filesystem.

when attempting to run the software (./SC) I get Resoure error 10103. Which was resource not found.

After some poking around I found the installer on the old machine and tried the following two commands.

SITECOMP='/home/land/xfer'         # to set environment

export SITECOMP                                # to install the software?

Neither of these returned any messages nor errors. Nor any apparent effect. I believe that I can force feedback with a verbose argument but am not sure how to institute this. I have already learned to NOT just try something on my own as I had to spend a few hourse getting CDE back last week because of a silly error on my (or SAMs) part.

Why that folder structure? I do not know, but assume that /home is a more permission friendly folder that is equivalant to a users folder, sort of like Documents and Settings in a modern Windows setup. 

Using the GUI method (double clicking the executable) to export the installer it asked for options and arguments. I am not sure what to enter in either of these. Since the CLI commands I was given did not have any it has me a bit perplexed.

I assume that the structure is generic enough that nothing software specific will be required.

If there is some information I am missing please let me know.

10 REPLIES 10
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Unless the product is packaged by HP-UX's SD, they're all apt to be different.

>Neither of these returned any messages nor errors.

These two commands just export an environment variable and you would have to run a program to do anything.

>I assume that the structure is generic enough that nothing software specific will be required.

Unfortunately you'll need to find and follow the installation instruction for your product.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing 3rd party software on HPUX 10.20

nettronic
Occasional Advisor

Ok thanks.

In my research I saw it mentioned that a tar extract as root is the same as running tar -P as a user. It retains file/folder permissions. 

Root UID:GID is different between the two machines. I am not sure if changing them to match each other will mess anything else up. Really not sure if using SAM to chage the IDs is a bad thing, and I have been kinda sloppy using vi.

Going to dd to the NFS share instead of tar, chown it and then try setting the environment again and running the software.

Wish me luck

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing 3rd party software on HPUX 10.20

>>Root UID:GID is different between the two machines

The root UID and GID (root user and root group) should ALWAYS be '0' (zero).  Anything different is definitely non-standard!

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

nettronic
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for the double post, just saw your post after replying to the previous poster.

>>Not a very detailed description of anything.

We have a production machine that is an HP 9000 workstation model 712/100 running HPUX B 10.20.  We just received a Visualize C360 workstation that has HPUX B 10.20 installed but not the software me use to perform land surveys. the developer of the software said we are free to copy it from our one machine and use it as many as we want. the no longer support the product.

>>You were "told" by whom?  Whoever he is, he probably knows more about
what you're trying to do than anyone here does.

Yes I am sure he does, but he (The developer of the software) is working from memory that is 20 years old and not actively used anymore. As such many of the unix commands he has given me to do not work at all. Whether this is because of different OS versions, hardware or just environmental variables I have no idea. For instance searching for a specific file on the machine I was told to to type

find . -ls | grep -I filename

This errors with both -ls and -I as invalid arguments.

>>Do you mean to _run_ the installer?

>>Do you expect anyone here to know more about these things than
someone in your organization?  Should I know what "the CLI commands I
was given" might be?

The name of the software is not important, as I am sure no one here has heard of it. I was looking for general information about installing software. Sorry if I was not specific enough. It takes me a long time to try and word things correctly and I edit extensively as I tend to prattle on...

I was only looking for general help on options and arguments of an executable. (Installer I think, though TBH I am not really sure). We normally run the software by navigating to the folder in terminal and typing ./SC 

Why? I have no idea, it is what I was told to do. We do not have a UNIX administrator.

I am trying to learn and unfortunately (as you have repeatedly pointed out) I am still a babbling babe (I guess a good analogy would be the first time Ubuntu user on a debian message board) when it comes to asking questions about unix.

While not incompetent when it comes to PCs, I am learning a new language here. the syntax and expressions are remarkably different and I did not spend the last 20 years working on 'nix machines (I went the DOS route). And the last few months I that I have been using the unix machines, have been spent learning how a specific program works, very little about the unix itself.  (A lot of time is being spent on noticing the differnces in the commands and the terminology. Unix calls them arguments, DOS calls them switches. Seems like a little thing, but try searching for Unix command switches and see how accurate your search results will be! I know now to search for HPUX 10.20 NOT 10.2, because computer guys don't know basic math lol

I have enough nix knowledge to dd myself a backup drive. but our new machine uses an 18GB hdd so I will have to order one (the 712's run on a 2GB drive!).

Being production machines and not having backup or installation disks (or a CD-drive for either machine), I can not do my normal method of learning, which is break it and learn how to fix it.

So lets me try and rephrase my question.

What are some common options and arguments for running an executable file? I am looking to refine my web searches away from installing the operating system and focus on installing programs.

thanks for your assistance.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

nettronic
Occasional Advisor

The software is not a secret.

IT is called 'Sitecomp' it is a software for generating land surveys and was developed by Land Innovations. They have a windows version but even that is no longer updated

I learned a few commands to get more information.

System 1 with working version of software.

model

HP 9000/712/100

swlist shows the following bundles

ACE 199906.03 workstation ACE

B.10.20 HPUX media kit (reference only)

B.10.20 English HPUX Vue runtime environ

B.10.20.55.2  Hardware Enablement Patches for 10.20 workstation

Not in bundles

B3678CA_TEXT

ACE.199906.01 Title for Product

Then a bunch of cumulative patches

10.00.00.AA  cumultative patches for

libc Header, libc, df(1M), vasusage (ACE 2 Bundle), header for types.h and unistd.h, sys/time fix

System 2 without sitecomp

Model

9000/785/C360

swlist

Bundles

ACE.200009.01 Workstation Quality pack

B.10.20 HPUX media kit (refence only)

ACE.1999.12.01 HP Visualize Fx5 and Fx10 hardware enable

B10.20  English HPUX CDE Runtime Environ

I double checked the UID/GID of both systems and they are the same again. (The one with different numbers was a previous 712/100 workstation that got new life by making a dd image of this current system).

Regardless I tried making a nother tarball without p this time (read that it was bugged as root) and copied it over unpacked it, still got a couple of chown errors. But the appear to only be on a certain couple of files that are products of the software not essential to its running.

Set environment again and exported it.

Try to run the software and get the resource missing message

So. Is there a argument like -v I can use to make it list what the missing resource is? Or at least generate a verbose error log.

(and I did try ./SC  )

Also... when launching the program before the missing resource is found it gave an error about "Environment not set, and defaulting to to /users/land/xfer (you were right about it being a person... sort of, actually I think it is for the company name). This error is the  given when launching on our 712 everytime.  However I must have correctly given it correctly now on the C360 because it no longer says that.

It still gives the missing resource message though. So just need to figure out what that is.

Thanks for all the help so far. I am off for the night.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>What are some common options and arguments for running an executable file?

If these are Unix commands there may be things in common.

But because this is a 3rd party software, who knows if they followed any conventions?

You could try -h, -v --help, etc.

Is there a man page for the product?

If you had a 10.20 tusc, you could trace system calls and at least see what it did and what files were opened.