1748022 Members
5112 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing Omniback Disk Agent on Red Hat Linux

David Holden
Occasional Advisor

Installing Omniback Disk Agent on Red Hat Linux

We currently run Omniback A.03.00 on HP-UX 11.00 and have a requirement to backup a server running Red Hat Linux 7.1. Looking at the documentation there does not seem to be a disk agent for Linux in this version of Omniback. Does anyone know if it is in fact possible to backup a Linux server with this version of Omniback ?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
James Specht
Trusted Contributor

Re: Installing Omniback Disk Agent on Red Hat Linux

You are correct. RH 7.1 is not supported. But I wonder why you are using OB 3.00? If you are paying support you can upgrade to the latest and greatest for free. It really is not that difficult to migrate your systems to the newer version.

--Jim
"Everyone can be taught to sculpt: Michelangelo would have had to be taught how not to. So it is with the great programmers."
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

It looks to me like support for Linux was introduced in Omniback 3.10
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
David Holden
Occasional Advisor

Thanks both, you've confirmed what I suspected. We are planning to upgrade to 4.0 and then to Data Proctector 5.10 ( apparently we can't go from 3.0 to 5.10 in one jump). It looks like we will have to upgrade quicker than expected to be able to support this Linux server.
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

David, It's worth checking at which point Omniback started supporting ext3 filesystems if you use them. I know it wasn't available in 3.5 and I know it is available in 4.10 but I'm not sure about 4.0. Regards
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
David Holden
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for that mark, I haven't seen the Linux server yet so I don't know what it is using. I'll bear it in mind when the time comes however.
Krishna Prasad
Trusted Contributor

When you get to Data Protector 5.1. In order to install the Linux client you will have to open up the Linux machine during the install. You will have to enable remsh and allow root to use it. You will also have to edit the /etc/securetty file.
Positive Results requires Positive Thinking