1753412 Members
7307 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Interesting Installs Question

K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

Interesting Installs Question

All, usually I used fibs to resize windoze partition, then install Linux. However, I am in a situation where RH7.2 is installed first. How do you install Windoze w/o blowing away your current RH7.2? What utility do you use to resize the current RH partition? If not, then is it ok to boot into dos and use fibs to resize the current RH partition? Thanks
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour
2 REPLIES 2
Peter Scott
Advisor

Re: Interesting Installs Question

It all depends on your Red Hat partition. If you have a single linux partiton which takes up the entire disk, then there is little you can do, if you try to reduce the size of the partition you will probably lose data. If you have sliced your disk, then you can deallocate one of the slices from linux, use fdisk on the windoze boot disk to relabel the partition as a Primary DOS partition and you can then install Windoze into it. I would advise you to make sure that the first partition on the disk is your Windoze one though.
Life is a terminal sexually transmitted disease, but hey, who wants to be cured!
Martin Burnett_2
Trusted Contributor

Re: Interesting Installs Question

Hello Michael,

Take a look at the following HOW-TO. It talks step-by-step about installing Windows on an existing Linux installed system:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux%2BWin9x%2BGrub-HOWTO/

Thanks for participating in the forums,

Martin
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.