From BMC's 7.1 patch 6 midtier install
mod_jk.so: ELF-64 shared object file - IA64

With no other changes other than the upgrade to BMC's 7.5 patch 3 midtier
mod_jk.so ELF-32 shared object file - IA64

As for Apache we're using HP's Web suite
hpuxwsApache B.2.0.59.07 HPUX Apache Web Server
file on httpd returns ELF-64 executable object file - IA64

which I assume means 64 bit.

As for you statement on removing Java's 64bit files, according to the java docs it is possible. The rel notes state " On HP Integrity, to remove 64-bit support:
/usr/sbin/swremove Jre60.JRE60-IPF64 Jre60.JRE60-IPF64-HS " I assume that its only the JRE and not all JDK filesets. Is this what you mean?
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Re: java 32bit only install on 11v3 IA64

Shalom,

HP's java implementation includes 64 bit and 32 bit binaries all in the same depot.

Any application that works strictly with 32 bit java should work. In my experience this was the case with a wide array of applications.

I see no evidence to support the case the vendor is making. Sounds like they are making excuses.

What probably needs to be done is the compiler needs to be configured to create to 32 bit java applications, and the environment needs to point to the 32 bit libraries not the 64 bit libraries.

I have some experience working with BMC and I know their engineers in Israel have procedures for configuring java to work properly on IA64 HP-UX 11.31. They do quality control on this platform. THEY should provide you the procedure for configuring the install user to work properly. It should not be up to you to figure it out.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>From BMC's 7.1 patch 6 midtier install
>With no other changes other than the upgrade to BMC's 7.5 patch 3 midtier
mod_jk.so ELF-32 shared object file - IA64

This may be a red herring. If you are using a PA java, you wouldn't be able to talk to your Integrity Apache, except through a file or socket.

>As for Apache we're using HP's Web suite
hpuxwsApache B.2.0.59.07 HPUX Apache Web Server
>which I assume means 64 bit.

Yes. This may need you need a 32 bit Apache if you only have the 32 bit mod_jk.so.

>As for you statement on removing Java's 64bit files, according to the java docs it is possible. The rel notes state "On HP Integrity, to remove 64-bit support:
swremove Jre60.JRE60-IPF64 Jre60.JRE60-IPF64-HS" I assume that its only the JRE and not all JDK filesets. Is this what you mean?

If that works, fine. Except you don't have an Integrity Java, but a PA one. Perhaps there are corresponding filesets.

This leads us back to my original question, why are you installing a 11.11 PA java on Integrity?
Norman Dignard
Regular Advisor

SEP -
In regards to your statement "the compiler needs to be configured to create to 32 bit java applications" what complier are you refering too - something on my system?

As for BMC in Israel - Do you have a means of getting the info for configuring java to work properly on IA64 HP-UX 11.31? I've requested specifics from our BMC support (a 3rd party) but they just keep giving me lip service without any specifics.

Dennis - to answer your questions
PA Java. In our inital setup of the midtier 7.1p6 , we tried the IA jdk6_16002 but HP's tomcat kept erring with:
"Could not load native library
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no arutiljni71_hpia32 in java.library.path"

"- StandardWrapper.Throwable
- Servlet /arsys threw load() exception
- Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: com.bmc.arsys.util.ARUtilEgcp.GCPUtil(Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/String;"

"- Could not load native library
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no arjni71_hpia32 in java.library.path"

I then switched to PA jdk6_16002. If the install was just the base install, again tomcat would fail with:
"/usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't find path for shared library: libjli.sl
/usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory
[HP ARIES32]: Core file for 32 bit PA-RISC application
[HP ARIES32]: /opt/java6/bin/java saved to /opt/hpws/tomcat/logs/core.java."

If I installed PA jdk6_16002 with incompatible=true then all worked fine.

I then attempted to upgrade midtier to 7.5p3 thats when Hp's apache would not start due to a bad magic number on the mod_jk.so files pushed in by the installer.

I I tried IA jdk6_16006 but got the same problems. I restored the system back to its original working config and that were I am now.

In my attempts to upgrade, I tried to remove the 64bit jdk/jre but got dependancy errors noted below. I am not familar in this regards so I did not remove them. Would they be safe to remove?

* The fileset "Jre60.JRE60,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00" requires the selected fileset
Jre60.JRE60-IPF64-HS,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00" as a
corequisite.
* The fileset "Jdk60.JDK60,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00" requires the selected fileset
"Jre60.JRE60-IPF64-HS,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00" as a
corequisite.
ERROR: The dependencies for fileset
"Jre60.JRE60-IPF64-HS,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00" cannot be
resolved (see previous lines).
You must resolve the above dependencies before operating on this fileset or change the "enforce_dependencies" option to "false".
* The fileset "Jre60.JRE60,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00" requires the selected fileset
"Jre60.JRE60-IPF64,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00" as a
corequisite.
* The fileset "Jdk60.JDK60,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00" requires the selected fileset
"Jre60.JRE60-IPF64,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00" as a
corequisite.
* The software "Jre60.JRE60-IPF64-HS,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00"
has previous analysis errors.
"Jre60.JRE60-IPF64,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00" cannot be
You must resolve the above dependencies before operating on this fileset or change the "enforce_dependencies" option to
"false".
"Jdk60.JDK60-IPF64,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00" as a
corequisite.
"Jdk60.JDK60-IPF64,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00" cannot be
You must resolve the above dependencies before operating on this fileset or change the "enforce_dependencies" option to
"false".

* Summary of Analysis Phase:
ERROR: Exclude Jre60.JRE60-IPF64-HS,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00
ERROR: Exclude Jre60.JRE60-IPF64,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00
ERROR: Exclude Jdk60.JDK60-IPF64,l=/opt/java6,r=1.6.0.06.00
ERROR: 3 of 3 filesets had Errors.
ERROR: The Analysis Phase had errors. See the above output for details.

Norm

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>no arutiljni71_hpia32 in java.library.path

Does this file exist or one with a different architecture?

>Can't find path for shared library: libjli.sl

Does this file exist?

>HP's apache would not start due to a bad magic number on the mod_jk.so files pushed in by the installer.

You mentioned above:
mod_jk.so: ELF-32 shared object file - IA64

So you need to put the ELF-64 version there.
But I wouldn't expect a "bad magic number" error unless you had a PA vs IPF conflict??

>I tried to remove the 64bit jdk/jre but got dependency errors noted below. I am not familiar in this regards so I did not remove them. Would they be safe to remove?

If you want to remove them, you need to remove all of them at once: Jre60 Jdk60
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

You should be installing both the Integrity and the PA java, probably in that order.

If you only want to run the PA version, pass in the "-pa20" option.

Does BMC Remedy have an Integrity version?

>I tried to remove the 64bit jdk/jre but got dependancy errors noted below. Would they be safe to remove?

I found the "Removing support for unwanted architectures in the JRE". It appears the instructions aren't complete and don't mention you need to use:
-x enforce_dependencies=false
Norman Dignard
Regular Advisor

No solution yet
Alexey Eliseev

Hi Norman,

I'm using Mid-tier 7.1. on HP-UX 11.23 IA64.
Installation is not clear but it works. My steps:

1. Install JDK 1.5
2. Install GNU gettext, libiconv and tar. Have you seen a '@LongLink' in ar home directory? That is a problem of long file names and standard tar utility in HP-UX and Solaris
3. Edit mt_install script, replacing TAR=tar with TAR=/usr/local/bin/tar
4. Run mt_install. Do all steps until installer ask you for AR Server name
5. In other terminal go to ar home directory and find all libs with filemask "*hpia*". If you have ARServer or AREmail installed on this server it will be there
6. Copy all "*hpia*" libs in mid-tier/WEB-INF/lib directory
7. Return to the installer terminal and finish installation

Enjoy! :-)
Norman Dignard
Regular Advisor

We got BMC's 7.1p3 working fine regardless of what BMC support told us. The problem we have is when we went to 7.5. BMC's installer replaced apache's mod_jk.so file from a 64 bit one to a 32 bit file. Hp's apache fails to start due to this. In BMC's attempts to diagnose the problem they kept stating its a java issue. Hense this issue that I posted trying to clarify what BMC wants in case I was not understanding them properly.

We have since abandoned midtier on itanium clearly due to BMC's lack of support and issues we came accorss with no resolution (or acknowledgement) of the problems we found.