1753844 Members
7823 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Java On HP-UX 7.x

OldSchool
Honored Contributor

"If this machine is running in-house developed software, it is probably written in a technology that no longer exists..."

I forgot about that one...but it would probably be in some dialect of C, fortran or cobol. They're still around. I'm not saying its easy, but it is possible.

In either case, this thing is a potential business-killer if it breaks

Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

I suggest we all have a minute of silence for a piece of hard- and software that apparently worked just fine for this many years.
Yes, the customer won't have much of a chance than fully replacing it, but I really admire systems that have all their quirks worked out for a decade and ever since only did one thing: Work!

Reminds me of the old ugly mainframe that got phased out in 2003 at my customer's site. Hell no, i didnt want to maintain it or port applications to it, but nonetheless: it worked absolutely flawless.

Now we're replacing our hp-ux boxes with some linux kit and guess what, it's quirky all over.

Maybe this is just my christams depression talking, but I think I'll look through some of my more evil IS books and see if there's a formula that shows how an application gets outdated as the final bugs get resolved.

On a more practical side - if they can waste on a java app, they can surely waste money on someone (you? :) that does a proper IO subsystem that feeds the data into the old hp-ux 7.x box, and for example records all transactions and data into a second (database?) backend on a more current os - then they have a slight chance of migrating and moreover you get to actually find out what the app *does*!

Merry Christmas!
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

well...for detailed info on where MQ 7 can run, see here:

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/integration/wmq/requirements/index.html

or start here and navigate to "Distributed Platforms" on the right side of the screen:

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/integration/wmq/v7/

they require at least 11.23, so maybe you can drag them (albeit kicking and screaming, into the new mellenium).