Kazakhstan's Time Zone

Alexey Kramnyuk
Occasional Contributor

Kazakhstan's Time Zone

Hi,

On our HP-Ux 11.31 /etc/TIMEZONE file looks as follows:

TZ=WST-6WSTDST
export TZ

, but from Marth of 2005 Kazakhstan doesn't use Daylight Saving Time and WST-6WSTDST (configuration for Russia) with DST doesn't match for us. I didn't find necessary configuration in /usr/lib/tztab file. Can anyone please tell me how I can modify /usr/lib/tztab file to create new confuration for GMT+6 time without DST?..

Thank you
4 REPLIES 4
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Kazakhstan's Time Zone

A quick look at the tztab file and the tztab man page suggests to me that all the entries describe time zones that DO have DST. Therefore, I would think you would want to set your TZ to a value not represented in tztab, like KST, for example.

Pete

Pete
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

I agree with Pete: the /usr/lib/tztab file is needed only for timezones that *are* using DST.

Simply change the definition in your /etc/TIMEZONE to:

TZ=WST-6
export TZ

You may substitute any three-letter designation you wish in place of the WST, but if you invent your own, please don't re-use any of the existing designations to avoid confusion.

The important part is the "-6": it defines the timezone offset. The sign is inverted compared to "GMT+6" style specification, because the POSIX standard defines it that way.

MK
MK
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Basically there are approximately 24*3 timezones in the world. Where some of them doesn't use DST at all, either because of political decisions, or they are too near the north or south pole or on the equator.
Then the other 2*24 are for the northern and southern hemispheres.

>but from March of 2005 Kazakhstan doesn't use Daylight Saving Time

If you had DST before 2005, you need a tztab(4) entry in order to tell time in the past.

>MK: export TZ=WST-6
>You may substitute any three-letter designation

It can be longer than 3 but don't go crazy. :-)
Alexey Kramnyuk
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to all