4628 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: keyboard layout change

Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

keyboard layout change

Hello,

I have to install a desktop for (inexperted) end users. There will be some desktop applications (OpenOffice, Web browser, mail etc...) and terminal connection to VMS.
The best terminal emulator I found is the VMS DECterm which runs on VMS and uses the Linux box as an X server.
The problem is in the keyboard layout. VMS keyboard is quite different from Linux keyboard (back space sends 127, num lock sends PF1 etc...). I create a xmodmap keyboard description which works fine.
Now it is possible to switch the keyboard with the keyboard layout switcher but this can be confusing for inexperted users (I use this technique on my desktop and forget many times to switch the keyboard).

My questions are:
It is possible to assign a keyboard layout to a single window (application)? So, when the user make active this window, the keyboard layout automaticaly switches to it and when the user activate another window the keyboard switches back to the default keyboard layout.

It is possible to catch the FocusIn and FocusOut event of the window and execute some commands?

Bojan
3 REPLIES 3
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

You say you're running an x-term on the VMS box?

Why can't you just set the termtype for the terminal to do the key-mapping, instead of doing it on the client (x-server) side?

To me it'd make more to me to do it that way.
One long-haired git at your service...
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Stuart,

Thanks for the reply. I will investigate the posibility of changing the keyboard layout in the VMS DECterm. For now I dont know if this is possible.

Bojan
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

I think I have found the solution.

I described it in the similar thread I have open in VMS forum after Stuarts post. Here is the link:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=904409

Bojan