108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lexmark Printing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nate Arnold
Frequent Advisor

Lexmark Printing

I am in the process of upgrading my test and production servers from 11.11 to 11.23. I have about 500 Lexmark Printers that I currently print to. I am utilizing Lexmark provided print drivers. Unfortunately it appears that Lexmark does not provide drivers for 11.23. Has anyone else ran into this problem? If so do you have any suggestions on how to handle this?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

There are no real printer drivers on HP-UX as in windows. Have you tried to use your 11.11 "drivers" on 11.23?
Nate Arnold
Frequent Advisor

I have installed the 11.11 drivers but get errors when trying to utilize the tools to create a new print device.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> I [...] get errors [...]

This was less informative than it might have
been.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

"I have installed the 11.11 drivers but get errors when trying to utilize the tools to create a new print device"

ok, what "tools" are you using? As noted above, hpux doesn't have "drivers" in the windows sense of the word. There are *usually* just interface scripts that are somewhat model specific.

I've always installed Lexmarks as LaserJet4's using the hppi
Nate Arnold
Frequent Advisor

Here is an example of the error that I get.

lanae:/home/narnold/lexmark # /opt/lexmark/unix_prt_drivers/bin/mkdevice -d nateprtq -i 172.29.80.77
/usr/lexprint/bin/.scripts/mkdevice.sh[37]: /usr/spool/lp/lexmark/unix_prt_drivers/vir_devices/nateprtq: Cannot create the specified
file.
Creating virtual device [ nateprtq ] failed!
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

># /opt/lexmark/unix_prt_drivers/bin/mkdevice -d nateprtq -i 172.29.80.77
/usr/lexprint/bin/.scripts/mkdevice.sh[37]: /usr/spool/lp/lexmark/unix_prt_drivers/vir_devices/nateprtq: Cannot create the specified file.

If you are root, about the only way this will fail if one of the directory paths is a file. Can you do a:
# ll -d /usr/spool/lp /usr/spool/lp/lexmark /usr/spool/lp/lexmark/unix_prt_drivers

The script could also fail if it doesn't do a "mkdir -p" on the directory paths.

So what's in mkdevice.sh around line 30 to 50?
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Does /usr/spool/lp/lexmark/unix_prt_drivers/vir_devices exist?

You really should use lexprt program to add queues.

Did you swintall the drivers or just copy them? (should be swinstall).

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Nate Arnold
Frequent Advisor

The directory path stops at /usr/spool/lp. I did a clean swinstall of the Lexmark tools and have only tried to add a new printer. I have not tried migrating anything yet.

When I try to do a mkdevice for my printer I get an error saying "Invalid Hostname or IP address: nateprt". The mkdevice script call a chkdevice script that checks a number of items like does the queue already exist and if hostname is valid. I can ping nateprt and trying the command with the IP address results with the same error. I am not sure what the problem is at this point.
Nate Arnold
Frequent Advisor

Also, lexprt doesn't exist on my 11.23 server or on my old 11.11 server. I am assuming that that lexprt is an old method of adding printers.