1753971 Members
8149 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

lockd and nfs problems

lockd and nfs problems

I have an nfs/autofs problem but I think it stems from the lockd problem. I'm getting the following in syslog.log when I try to start the lockd:

Nov 14 08:20:17 hp11iv3 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd[2485]: Cannot get address for transport udp host \1 service lockd
Nov 14 08:20:17 hp11iv3 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd[2485]: Cannot establish NLM service over /dev/udp: transport setup problem.
Nov 14 08:20:17 hp11iv3 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd[2485]: Cannot get address for transport tcp host \1 service lockd
Nov 14 08:20:17 hp11iv3 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd[2485]: Cannot establish NLM service over /dev/tcp: transport setup problem.
Nov 14 08:20:17 hp11iv3 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd[2485]: Could not start NLM service for any protocol. Exiting.

I'm trying to start lockd because nfs.client and nfs.server are asking for it:

# /sbin/init.d/nfs.client start
Starting NFS CLIENT subsystem

ERROR: rpc.lockd not running. Run "/sbin/init.d/lockmgr start" to start rpc.lockd, exiting
# /sbin/init.d/nfs.server start
ERROR: rpc.lockd not running. Run "/sbin/init.d/lockmgr start" to start rpc.lockd, exiting
#

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Maria
Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!
5 REPLIES 5
Fabian Brise├▒o
Esteemed Contributor

Re: lockd and nfs problems

Hello Maria.
Check the following thread

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1152828

hope it helps.
Knowledge is power.

that's great information and I followed the instructions but sadly, I'm still getting the same errors.
Fabian Brise├▒o
Esteemed Contributor

Hello maria.
This will probably take longer but give the following manual a read.

Configuring and Administering an NFS Server

http://docs.hp.com/en/B1031-90061/ch02s02.html
Knowledge is power.

Thanks, it's always good to have documentation. I do have this successfully running on a few other servers so I'm not new to this.

As is appears to be a typo in the /etc/nsswitch.conf file, more specifically, the services line, I am closing this thread. the rpc.lockd daemon started up as soon as I corrected that line.