New Discussion юеВ

Re: Login Process takes longer

SOLVED
Go to solution
panchpan
Regular Advisor

Login Process takes longer

Hello.

Since Yesterday, I notice that after giving telnet IP or SSH IP - it takes long time to display login: , I mean earlier after entering Server name It used to immediately ask for login ID and then password. But, now it takes min of 2-3 minute to ask for login ID.

Where can I check, whats going wrong?
15 REPLIES 15
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Check /etc/hosts
Check nsswitch.conf
Check DNS

Sounds like 'resolution' is what is choking.

Rgrds,
Rita
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

if you try telnet or ssh to ip and not hostname and still it is slow, compare it with logging in from the console. if that is slow too, system could be having other issue like bottleneck, hard disk hang, etc.
Kevin Wright
Honored Contributor

This is usually always a name resolution issue. When you ssh in, check syslog to see where the connection is coming from (nat?) and then try to resolve via nslookup, it'll probably fail. You can turn off DNS resolution in sshd_config, most likely your DNS servers are not providing valid PTR records for the source IP.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

As mentioned most delayed login prompts are caused due to DNS delays ( system attempts to lookup IP/Hostname for use in logging.

Try a direct telnet from the server back to itself. Should get an immediate prompt. If not then you have system performance issues and need to start looking at CPU, MEM, DISK, etc..

Best of luck.

panchpan
Regular Advisor

How to turn off DNS resolutions - First of all what is DNS, and why is it coming in picture here on UNIX? Direct telnet from server back to itself is also slow. I mean, it shows connected to server but login: prompt comes delayed only. Performance, how do i check - coz the applications running on box are not having performance issues as such.

Please advice.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Did it ever work right, or is this the first time connecting to that server?
Did it suddenly go bad, or did it get slowly worse?
What changed? Re-boot? Patches? Security settings? Auditing?

As the others suggest, most times when I experienced delays with 'login:' prompts it has been due to network name resolution.
Make sure that works BOTH ways.

How about 'ping' response times?
By name? By number? 1st one versus the rest?

Anyway, if you experiences delays with a local login as you now indicatee (console port, telnet 0) then one must check for system overload, to rule that out (or not).

Just use 'vmstat'.
Specificaly check the free, po, sy, and id columns.
free should be several thousands, po should be 0 or low, sy less than 30, id gt 20.

If that's not the case, then it si time to whip out 'glance', 'top', swapinfo and such for futher analysis.

Share those details here when in doubt about their meaning.

Hope this helps some,
Hein van den Heuvel (at gmail dot com)
HvdH Performance Consulting

panchpan
Regular Advisor

what is DNS? and How does it impact to login process? What solutions are there to follow IF the issue is caused by DNS ? Where do we have DNS settings made in UNIX?
panchpan
Regular Advisor

Sorry I missed to answer for asked i/p:

Did it ever work right - Yes. I am facing this problem of login slower nothing else since few days.
What changed? Re-boot? Patches? Security settings? Auditing? - Nothing is changed

As the others suggest, most times when I experienced delays with 'login:' prompts it has been due to network name resolution. --> Where are these settings? and How to verify/fix them?

How about 'ping' response times? - ping works perfect - No loss
By name? By number? 1st one versus the rest? - All ways.

Anyway, if you experiences delays with a local login as you now indicatee (console port, telnet 0) then one must check for system overload, to rule that out (or not). --> No load on system

Just use 'vmstat'. --> Here is the output, I dont understand much:

System configuration: lcpu=4 mem=15936MB

kthr memory page faults cpu
----- ----------- ------------------------ ------------ -----------
r b avm fre re pi po fr sr cy in sy cs us sy id wa
1 1 472314 428943 0 0 0 219 449 0 64 632 403 1 0 98 1

Please advice your comments and I got some info from google that such problem happens due to DNS. What is DNS? and how to verify/where/fix them?
panchpan
Regular Advisor

Here is the output:

prodipas@ssydpapp007 /data/ipas/d2/ipsmk2 $ nslookup 10.68.129.57
prodipas@ssydpapp007 /data/ipas/d2/ipsmk2 $ nslookup 10.68.129.57
*** Can't find server name for address 10.68.128.1:No response from server
*** Can't find server name for address 10.72.128.1:No response from server
*** Default servers are not available
prodipas@ssydpapp007 /data/ipas/d2/ipsmk2 $

It took 75 seconds to display first line. and then 75 seconds again to display remaining output. Earlier it used to display different output , dont remember very quickly. The IP address for server , users generally connect or I used to connect is 10.68.129.57 I am not sure what is 10.68.128.1 ? Something looks to be changed as nslookup output is differnt now.

I dont see any changes made recently in this file too:

prodipas@ssydpapp007 /etc $ more resolv.conf
nameserver 10.68.128.1
nameserver 10.72.128.1
domain au.challenger.net
prodipas@ssydpapp007 /etc $ ls -lt resolv.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root system 71 Apr 17 2007 resolv.conf
prodipas@ssydpapp007 /etc $

Please advice ... whats going on? and whats the command to bring up DNS Servers?